Chapter 23

"Where's Etienne?" Ava asked as a sat down beside her. 

I settled my elbow on the table before taking my face in my palm. "He's on his way."

Ava nodded and I turned my attention back to the couple in front of me. Jelena and Paul were sitting next to each other talking calmly. They looked like they were in their own bubble. Paul arrived three days ago, on Wednesday, and caused Jelena to skip school from that day on. They spent that whole time together, apparently exploring the area even though I wasn't sure there was much to explore. Today was the first time Ava and I got to see Paul. I had barely arrived in the coffee shop and Ava must've been sitting there for less than ten minutes. Only Etienne was missing. 

Suddenly, the couple's bubble seemed to pop and they brought their attention towards us. Ava and I smiled awkwardly before Paul started talking about how amazing our town was. I couldn't help but nod at his enthusiasm even though I was pretty sure his opinion was biased due to Jelena's presence. 

We had been sitting there for about twenty minutes when the chair next to me was pulled back. I faced the new arrival with a small. He sat down hastily before pecking my cheek and saying hello to the rest of us. 

"Nice to see you again, man," Paul said with a nod. I rolled my eyes at how cliché that sounded.

Etienne nodded back and Paul went back to whatever he was saying. 

"So tell me, Paul," Ava started. "How's Paris?"

He smiled. "Paris is like always. Amazing." Us, three girls, let out a sight. He laughed. "The hot seasons is coming and the trees are starting to blossom. People are going out more and the streets are full of tourists and boats are flowing again on The Seine. You should come back during the Summer. It's the best period if you ask me. Full of tourists, though." 

We laughed a little and time went by fast. It was good to see Paul after all this time - ok it hadn't been that long but still. Jelena was glowing of happiness. Around four o'clock, Ava decided it was time for her to go home. She kissed us all before she departed and we exited the coffee shop with her. 

"What now?" Jelena asked.

"Well, Etienne and I should be getting going as well. We have to work a bit." I replied. 

She nodded and we parted ways. I looped my arm around Etienne's and started walking in the direction of our cars. 

"Paul really is something..." I trailed off. 

Etienne laughed softly. "He's French, you know."

"Well, you're French but you're not like that." 

He chuckled. "I would be if I was a 100% French." 

This time I laughed and hit his arm playfully. We walked in silence for a while and Etienne spoke up. "So are we really going to study or was that just an excuse to leave them alone?"

"Well, a bit of both. Besides it's Saturday, remember?"

He nodded. "Right, tutoring. My house or yours?"

I bite my lips. "Yours if that's ok with you. Doctor Green is at mine and I think it would be best if my mom didn't see you at the present."

He stopped in front of my car. "I understand. Mine it is then! By the way, how is it going with Mrs Green?"

"Good." I simply said, not wanting to expand too much on the subject. "Meet you back at your place." I kissed his cheek and entered my car. He closed the door for me and headed to his. I watched him for a second before letting out a sigh.