02 | sparrow

WHEN her alarm awoke Lizzy at the proper time, her mood was as sour as a lemon.  She hit the snooze button subconsciously with her mind half devoured in a dream, muttering execrations under her breath before smashing her pillow against her ear as an attempt to obscure all the noise that she knew would soon come her way.  A few moments later, Lizzy was sound asleep once again, the orchestra of her breathing and heartbeat intertwining until they were harmonious. The creases etching her face that were caused by stress smoothed over as she relaxed.

            Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Lizzy's mother was concocting a scrumptious breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, golden toast, and homemade strawberry jam).  While she hummed some childhood lullaby to herself, she set out three plates—one for Lizzy, another for her son Logan, and another for her husband.  Her ears perked up like a dog's tail when she heard commotion from upstairs, broadcasting that her family was on the move; however, Lizzy's mother knew that she had to double-check to see if her daughter, Lizzy, was up yet.  More often than not, Lizzy would sleep as long as she was able (and could get away with).  This habit usually resulted in Lizzy gaining a tardy at school, which would eventually lead to detention of Lizzy wasn't careful.

            Lizzy's mother ascended the carpeted staircase and strolled down the hallway of the second floor.  She waved to Logan who was busy brushing his teeth in the bathroom; her husband, who was ambling out of their bedroom at the same moment, brushed beside her, giving Lizzy's mother a peck on the cheek and a knowing gaze toward Lizzy's bedroom.  Lizzy's mother sighed and nodded, reaffirming what her husband already understood.  "Good luck waking up the beast," he told her with a playful grin.

            Lizzy's mother rolled her eyes and crossed her arms but smiled nonetheless.  Her husband always had that effect on her, despite her efforts to be serious around him.  "I wouldn't have had to if you hadn't let her go out with her friends yesterday.  On a school night of all days."

            His hands automatically flew up in surrender before they became preoccupied with adjusting his striped tie.  "Oh, sure, blame the cool dad who was trying to let his daughter have some fun for once."

            "You'd have to ask your daughter about that one," Lizzy's mother responded, referring to her husband's mention of being a "cool dad."

            "It's okay, honey.  One of us has to be the cruel, disciplinary parent."  With that, Lizzy's father sped down the stairs before his wife had a chance to ask him to do the honors of knocking on Lizzy's bedroom door.

            After taking a deep breath and mentally preparing herself for her daughter's rotten morning temper, Lizzy's mother gently knocked on the door.  "Lizzy, sweetheart, it's time to get up.  It's time for school."  There was no muttering in response or any sort of noise from within Lizzy's room.  One of Lizzy's eyes cracked open like an egg but her mind was still lost in the labyrinth of dreams.  Her mother knocked again, louder this time but still on the verge of caution.

            "Just a few more minutes," Lizzy mumbled, her hands reaching for her turquoise blanket so that she could tuck it snugly over her head—maybe then she'd be able to drown out her mother's voice that was endeavoring to lull her into reality.  Lizzy's mother, who wasn't in the mood for her daughter's games, stealthily entered the room and quietly tiptoed to the window.  Gilded rays of sunlight filtered through the window's blinds, showering Lizzy's figure in soft light.  It was not enough to wake Lizzy so her mother yanked up the blinds, completely immersing Lizzy in the blinding morning sun.

            Lizzy's mother stood back with her hands on her hips, waiting to see if her daughter was moving yet; she wasn't.  Lizzy's mother sighed and poised her hands on the edge of Lizzy's favorite turquoise blanket that she was using to conceal her face.  "I wish I didn't have to do this but you leave me no choice," her mother murmured almost inaudibly before wrenching the blanket from Lizzy and leaving her exposed to the intense daylight shining from the window.