22 | woodpecker

Lizzy | JJ

           LIZZY was glad that JJ had returned into her life. This time around, she was prepared for him and the way she knew he'd pull on her heartstrings. This time, she'd make sure to protect herself and her heart at all costs so that she wouldn't invest too deeply in—whatever exactly was happening between her and JJ. To her, it seemed like chemistry, an intense spark that she hadn't felt with anyone else—not Reece nor any other potential boyfriend. They fit together like puzzle pieces, seamlessly matched and forming both a fascinating and addicting image. She wondered if someday they would meet; then, she could determine for certain if she desired to be with him more romantically. If she could truly imagine them together at all. But first, of course, their friendship must ripen like a honey crisp apple in autumn.

           Lizzy stood behind the counter at Once and Floral, assisting a sweet elderly lady with arranging the plants that she wanted to buy from the shop. Reece was not on deck for the same shift as Lizzy and for that Lizzy was thankful. She hoped that some distance and time would mend their damaged friendship; however, Lizzy longed for it to be repaired as soon as possible because already she missed him and his company desperately. Once the aged woman paid for her flowers, Lizzy bade her farewell and quickly checked her phone to see if JJ had replied to her good morning text. He hadn't, and Lizzy chewed the bottom of her lip anxiously.

           Lizzy reminded herself that he was probably busy. Besides, she needed to resume working because her eyes being glued to her phone didn't exactly scream "hard-working" to the customers around her or her boss who was eyeing her suspiciously from the back of the shop. The bell chimed from the front of Once and Floral, alerting everyone browsing and laboring that more customers had arrived. Lizzy's eyes leisurely rose to witness them and welcome them to Once and Floral. She squealed joyfully when she realized it was her father, garnished in his best suit with a briefcase containing his resumes in one of his hands, his curly hair combed and gelled.

           "Dad! Hi, Dad!" Lizzy exclaimed, vaulting into her father's open arms that tightened tenderly around her once they had seized her.

           "Hey, baby girl," he muttered into her ear, slowly releasing her from his embrace.

           Lizzy stood back, grinning brilliantly at her father who had never visited her at work before. He never was able to stop in because Rose Jewelers was located far across town and on Saturdays he enjoyed sleeping in (like father, like daughter) and toil with projects around the house courtesy of Lizzy's mother. "How's the job search, Dad?" Lizzy asked, roosting into her place behind the counter before her boss could scold her for her lackadaisical work ethic.

           "It's...going, I guess. Not too many good full-time jobs that will help me support all of you at home, but I'm working on it. I haven't been in this job search business for many years now so it's still a little new and strange to me. It just makes me have a newfound respect for you, kiddo, when you planted yourself a decent job here all by yourself," Lizzy's father said, tilting his chin toward the sky in pride. Lizzy blushed and stared at the counter, feeling rather modest. Once and Floral was known for giving out suitable starter jobs for teenagers; she had heard about the shop in her sophomore year of high school from an older girl who loved to garden and Lizzy decided to check it out.

           "Thanks, Dad. I wouldn't worry about not finding one yet. Just like how a pirate eventually finds a treasure underneath the pile of sand in that little kid TV show we used to watch, you just have to wheedle out all those drab jobs before finding the golden one at the bottom. It takes time and a heck of a lot of patience, that's for sure. Even for me when I applied to this one." Lizzy gestured to the humming shop around her, the customers chatting amongst themselves as they examined various flowers and plants.