39 | swift

JJ hadn't told his parents that he was leaving. He figured they'd understand that he left to hang out with his friends—even though what they were doing was far from that.

           The four of them stood alongside the yellow police tape, the color of warnings and secrets. Teagan's hands buried themselves in her pockets, her leg bouncing with the desire to run through the tape like she was a runner racing toward the finish line; Reece stared at the police with interest, watching them closely as they examined the park for more signs of Lizzy Conner; Mateo refreshed his phone constantly in case something new popped up about Lizzy's disappearance.

           A small crowd laced with low whispers surrounded the four, baritone voices mixed with high-pitched lilts and everything in between. JJ ignored them, his eyes trailing the scene until they landed on a group of people dressed in reflective gear.

           "Guys, look." JJ pointed at the cluster who was receiving some instructions from a man dressed in a police uniform. "I think they're going to search."

           "For Lizzy's body?" Teagan choked out in horror.

           JJ disregarded Teagan's last comment and instead focused on immersing himself in the search party. He ducked underneath the flimsy tape and sauntered toward the crowd like he was meant to be there. He heard the gentle swishes of pants and soft footsteps muffled by the dirt—Mateo, Teagan, and Reece had followed suit.

           Teagan ambled up to one of the more important-looking people and spoke with her quietly. JJ listened to small snippets of her spiel: "My friends and I traveled all the way from New York for our friend, Lizzy. If you'll let us, we'd really appreciate if you let us search for her." JJ stopped listening; he refused to believe that they were looking for Lizzy's body.

           Teagan walked over to the trio of boys who waited silently for her. "She said we could. We just need to grab an official vest and be careful not to tamper with any evidence. Even the smallest thing like a cigarette could help lead us to Lizzy."

           Each of them selected a bright vest and slung it across their shoulders. Despite summer almost upon them, the cool temperatures swirled about them like ice cream—although the air tasted more foul than sweet to JJ. The assembly of searchers were split into a few smaller groups and some people were given walking sticks. Then, they began to tread in the forest that menaced just beyond the park where Lizzy's jacket had been found.

           JJ was soon separated from Lizzy's old friends from New York, but he realized he didn't mind being alone. Having Teagan, Reece, and Mateo around brought him more urgency and stress rather than relief. Now, without them surveying and questioning his every move, he could sort out his thoughts and compile a battleplan to find Lizzy.

           His sneakers shuffled on the weed-infested ground, dry dirt splattering across the white laces. Nothing out of the ordinary caught his eye—just weeds, small yellow flowers, three-leafed clovers, sticks, leaves. He observed the young girl next to him with a walking stick who paused to pry open a thorn bush. The girl seemed to feel JJ's eyes on her as she met his gaze and rose an eyebrow. "Did you know her?" she asked.

           JJ shrugged. "Kind of." Their story was complicated, and all he knew was that he didn't want it to be over. Not yet. Not ever.

           The girl pursed her lips and offered him sympathy in her expression—pity that he didn't want or need. They were going to find her—alive and well. Not dead and definitely not in these woods.