05 | cardinal

Lizzy | Mario

           AFTER Lizzy arrived home, she holed up in her bedroom like a mole, fishing her homework out from her backpack and from the pile of miscellaneous school supplies and books on the floor. She always tried to complete her homework on Saturday so that the next day could be filled to the brim with laziness and relaxation; it also gave her an opportunity to mentally prepare herself for another long week of school. Lizzy was about to scrawl on some worksheet for Economics when her phone, once sitting quietly beside her, became a pestering bumblebee. She checked to see who it was, and her stomach somersaulted like a gymnast when the name Mario materialized on the screen.

           Sup, Peach. How's it hangin?

           Lizzy sighed and resisted the urge to roll her eyes. This boy and his wacky antics would be the death of her.

           Sup is so 2011. You better catch up with the times.

           What if I told you I was going to singlehandedly bring sup back?

           Good luck with that, Mario.

           Speaking of Mario, did you ever play Mario Kart as a kid? Mario Kart was my childhood video game.

           Duh. Do you think I live under a rock?

           You never know. You could for all I know.

           Do I sound like I live under a rock? At least I have some social skills, which is more than I can say for some other people I know.

           Did you ever finish in first on Rainbow Road?

           Uh yah, that was the easiest one.

          Um, no, I'm pretty sure I fell to the earth about fifteen million times.

           Dear god, I hope that doesn't reflect your real life driving skills.

           Welllllllllllll...

           This is awkward.

           I hope we don't live near each other. I'd rather not get run over today. Or any day, for that matter.

          I'm 99% sure I'd still find a way.

          Let's hope not. Let's also hope that no one in their right mind will give you a license.

          SUCKS TO SUCK, I already have it :)

           Damn it. RIP me.

           As much as I enjoy texting you, I must return to my homework. I'll let you know when I'm done, kay?

           Sounds like a plan, Stan.

           Currently rolling my eyes at you.

           Currently rolling my eyes at YOU because you're like the one student who's actually doing homework right now on a Saturday. Smh.

           Well, I'm special then.

           Okay, keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.