27 | chickadee

Lizzy | JJ

           "IT'S time to wake up, Liz," her mother whispered quietly, gently shaking her daughter's shoulder. Lizzy moaned and griped, her eyes squeezed shut, as she tried to disappear between her covers like she was submerging in quicksand. Her mother sat patiently, which was rather unusual for her, her hand tenderly grazing Lizzy's shoulder. "I'm sorry, baby. Normally I wouldn't get you up this early on a Saturday, but you have to take the ACT today."

           "Don't remind me," Lizzy mumbled almost incoherently, her mouth obscured by her fuzzy turquoise blanket.

           "You'll do great, sweetie. And even if your score isn't fabulous, your father and I will love you anyways."

           "That's reassuring," Lizzy muttered sarcastically, forcing herself to sit up. She yawned and stretched, reaching hopelessly for the heavens—or, in today's case, for amazing ACT scores.

           Lizzy's mother ignored her daughter's sarcastic comment; instead, she stood up and wandered to Lizzy's closet, examining the clothes inside. "You'll probably want to wear something comfortable."

           "Mom, I think I can figure out what I'm going to wear. I haven't needed help in that area for years," Lizzy responded, following her mother's actions until they stood side-by-side, staring at the closet that overflowed with unique skirts and shorts of various lengths, warm coats and colorful scarves.

           "I know, I know, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can. By being not helpful at all. I think I'll just leave now." Lizzy's mother stared at her daughter's face that was tinted paler than normal. "Are you sure you're alright, dear?"

           "Yeah, Mom, I'm fine," Lizzy replied with a shaky grin, nerves quivering her insides like she was lounging in a massage chair. After giving Lizzy a somewhat comforting pat on the shoulder, her mother left her to mentally and physically prepare for the difficult test that lay before her.

           "Alright, everyone, pencils down please," the test overseer's voice boomed throughout the class as he slowly slinked between desks to retrieve each student's test. Lizzy handed over her answer sheet and booklet, grateful that it was finished. Besides, it had been easier than she had first thought, answers swiftly popping into her head like popcorn. She collected her pencils and calculator before exiting the college building, the cool spring breeze brightening her spirit as she slowly recovered from the intense test she just took.

           She climbed into the car, inserting her key to turn the car on. Once she adjusted the volume of the radio until it blasted her ears, Lizzy checked her phone, scrolling through the messages she'd missed when she was taking her test.

           Teagan: Wanna go spring formal shopping with me tomorrow after you finish working?

           Sounds like a plan! I honestly forgot that was going on because of how busy I've been.

           Teagan: Well then, it's a good thing I'm the greatest best friend in the world.

           What did you do.

           Teagan: You don't sound so enthusiastic.

          T, I'm texting you. Therefore, you can't hear me.

           Teagan: I can just tell. It's a fifth sense.

           Okay but seriously. What did you do?