29 | quail

"WE'RE meeting up with Reece after this in that coffee shop next to that beauty parlor called—what's its name?—Bonjour, I think," Teagan informed Lizzy, their white plastic-covered dresses overflowing in their arms as they walked next to each other.

           They glided past Philip's Pizza Palace and speedily crossed the street to Once and Floral where Lizzy's car was parked. "I know that coffee shop. What's it called again?"

           "It starts with an L..." Teagan trailed off, her eyes squinted in concentration; meanwhile, Lizzy unlocked her car and they deposited their spring formal dresses in the trunk.

           "Lovely Latte!" Lizzy exclaimed as the name descended upon her like a feather.

           Teagan snapped her fingers. "I literally remembered it right after you said that," she complained with a playful frown.

           "Should've been quicker," Lizzy teased before peering in her car to make sure that her lilies were safe in the front seat. "You're just a little slow in the head sometimes, it's okay."

           Teagan punched her friend in the shoulder before dragging her in the direction of Lovely Latte. "It takes one to know one."

           Lizzy rolled her eyes and allowed Teagan to lead her to the coffee shop, its windows emanating an amiable, welcoming glow. Flowers from Once and Floral ambled inside with their sweet aroma until they curiously peered through the door, decorating almost every inch of Lovely Latte. The café was abuzz with activity, the baristas preparing mochas and frappuccinos, customers slurping on their drinks and conversing amongst each other. Teagan and Lizzy sauntered inside, laughing at some dirty joke that Teagan had made.

           "You're terrible," Lizzy responded with a shake of her head before getting in line to order a drink. Her eyes surveyed Lovely Latte's interior until they reached Reece who gave her a wave, a small grin illuminating his features. His friend sat beside him, an aurora of superiority surrounding him, his face perfectly symmetrical like an artistic sculpture, every hair on his head flawlessly controlled with gel. Lizzy wrinkled her nose involuntarily; this certainly wasn't anyone she'd normally befriend on any other day. She admired people with quirks and blemishes—like Mateo's senseless tendencies, Teagan's sassy attitude, and Reece's sweet humbleness. This boy seemed as though he thought he was high and mighty, an angel in the clouds compared to the dirty devils that surrounded him now in Lovely Latte.

           "Is that him?" Lizzy asked, unable to mask the disgust laced in her tone.

           Teagan searched for Reece in the shop, nodding when she saw the two boys. "Yeah, that's Reece and Isaac."

           "You don't sound too enthusiastic—or too sure for that matter."

            "I don't know him that well. I've heard he's not the nicest guy in the world. Sorry, Liz. All of Reece's other friends have girlfriends or they already have dates."

           "Ugh. That sucks. At least it could be worst. He could be uglier but he's actually pretty cute."

           "At least you have a date. He might've not found you one at all, but he did," Teagan pointed out. The two girls stepped forward as the line inched toward the cashier where they could buy some drinks and pastries.

           "I guess you're right." Lizzy smiled at the worker behind the counter and requested a red velvet muffin with a white chocolate mocha.

           "I'm always right," Teagan retorted before ordering after Lizzy. Lizzy rolled her eyes and paid for them both (Teagan argued that the person with the job between them always had to pay for their food).