Chapter 2

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I blinked open my eyes and shut off the alarm clock. I sat up and stretched with a yawn. It's the start of classes today, for me at least. I had arrived a week after the start of the semester so the other students already met all of their classmates. I got dressed and went to the mirror to check out my appearance. My long black hair hung loosely down my back and my bright green eyes flashed back at me from the mirror. My complexion was smooth with just a few freckles splattered across my nose and cheekbones. I watched as my rosy full lips upturned as I smiled. I decided to just wear a light lip gloss and leave my hair down. My uncle always said that I inherited my mother's beauty and my father's eyes. I turned to the picture on my desk. I smiled at it and kissed my fingers. I put my fingers over the picture and said, "Wish me luck." "Are you ready to go Asami?" Hinata asked. I turned to her and nodded. It turns out Hinata and I had the first class together. I was glad that I knew someone from my first class at least. We grabbed our backpacks and headed out the door. The other girls were chattering just outside in the hallway. We greeted each other and then started walking together to our classes. The talk was light and cheerful. Soon the other girls went their separate ways and Hinata and I arrived at our first class. The first class was college level Algebra. We made our way inside. Due to the fact that the university was fairly small, the classes tended to be on the small side too. I recognized some familiar faces right off the bat. There was Neji, Lee, and Shikamaru. We walked over and took the desks near them. "Hey guys," I called to them. "Sup," Shikamaru said. "Hey Asami!" Lee replied enthusiastically. Neji just slightly nodded at me. I took a glance at the other students and I noticed a guy with dark hair and unusual scarring on the right side of his face. He was also wearing a black leather jacket with red clouds on it. We made eye contact. For some reason, he looked vaguely familiar although I couldn't put my finger on where I remembered him from. I averted my eyes and turned back to the conversation the others were having. We chatted lightly for a bit before class started. The teacher came in. "It seems we have a new student in our class! Welcome!" I thanked him. "See me after class so we can get you caught up." I nodded and class resumed. 

At the end of class, the other students started to leave as I talked with the teacher. When I was done, the classroom was empty. I took a step out the door and looked down at my schedule. I felt crestfallen as I realized I had no idea where my next classroom was. "Do you need help finding your next class?" I looked up to see Neji standing there in the hallway. Was he waiting for me? I wondered. "Yeah, that would be great. Thanks, Neji." I hand him my schedule. "Hm, so you have English next." He started walking away and I kept pace with him. We walked in silence for a little bit but it was a comfortable silence. He finally spoke up. "So I heard that your uncle is Saito Kanashe." "Yeah." I responded. He looked over at me. "Did you not like living with him?" I quickly shook my head. "Oh, no. I love my uncle. There's so much I've seen and done. He would take me on his dig sites sometimes and show me some of the stuff he discovered. I learned a lot that way. It was amazing seeing all of those different cultures and places." He nodded. "It was great, but it was lonely sometimes." He looked at me in surprise. "Lonely?" "Yeah, when I was younger I jumped around from school to school a lot. It was hard to make friends when you knew you would probably leave 6 months later. My uncle tried to convince me to live in one place with a stay at home nanny but I didn't want to leave his side after my parents died. He eventually just home schooled me. We've been especially close ever since." Neji stayed quiet and he seemed to be deep in thought. I bit my lip. "Hey, sorry I didn't mean to burden you with my past problems." "No, not at all. I'm.... glad you told me." I looked up at him and beamed. "Thanks, Neji." I noticed a slight blush come over his cheeks. Then he suddenly stopped. "We're here." I looked up to see my classroom. "Great!" He handed me back my schedule and I stepped in and gave him a hug. He seemed surprised for a moment. I stepped back and said, "Thanks for all your help Neji. I'll see you later!" I waved to him as I walked into the classroom. I didn't see him stand there in shock for a moment as a blush came over his cheeks. He smiled before he walked away. I noticed that in this class there was Naruto, Sasuke, and Tenten. There were tables in this classroom so I sat at the end next to Tenten with Naruto and Sasuke on her other side. I took a look around the room. I noticed a couple of guys with more leather jackets with red clouds. One of them had slicked back silver hair and the other had shoulder length brown hair with scarring on the sides of his mouth. They seemed to be in some sort of argument. I looked over to Tenten and the others. "I've seen those jackets before. Who are those guys?" I asked. They looked over to where I was pointing and Naruto and Tenten both frowned. "They're the Akatsuki."