Chapter 14

When I went to class on Monday, I saw Obito standing next to the door of our classroom. He was staring at me and said, "Can I talk to you?" I looked over to Hinata. "I'll save your spot," she told me. She walked into the class and I turned back to Obito. "I heard about what happened at the party Saturday. I'm sorry you got sick like that." The kiss on the forehead flashed through my mind. I had decided to just sum it up as a friendly gesture. I didn't want to ruin our friendship by reading too much into it. "It's alright. It was my fault anyways." He shook his head. "No, we should've warned you about Hidan's punch. It's known for having a kick." I laughed. "Tell me about it. Two glasses of that stuff and I was acting crazy." He smiled softly and brushed a stray hair away from my face. "Well, I'm glad you don't harbor any ill feelings towards us." I shook my head. "No, not at all." We went into class and took our separate seats. During class, I felt my phone buzz. I opened it up to see it was a text message from an unknown number.

???: Hey Asami, it's Kakashi. Iruka and I were going to do a reading at the city library today but Iruka had a last minute emergency come up. Would you be interested in taking his place?

Asami: Hey Kakashi. Sure, I can do that. What time should I be ready and where should I go?

Kakashi: Great! Meet me outside the PAL's office at four and I'll drive us to the library.

Asami: Sounds good. I'll see you then.

It wasn't long before 4 o'clock rolled around. I was standing at the designated spot but Kakashi was nowhere to be seen. I checked my phone to make sure I had the time and place right. Where could he be? 20 minutes rolled by before I saw him strolling towards me. "Did something happen?" I asked. He laughed and scratched the back of his head. "Sorry about that. I got lost on the path of life." I rolled my eyes and felt a smile tug at my lips. "Don't tell me this is a daily occurrence for you." "Shall we get going?" He asked smoothly. I gave him a raised eyebrow but let the matter drop. "Lead the way," I said. I followed him to a flashy silver Lamborghini. Reminds me of some of the cars my uncle drives. On the way over, Kakashi and I chatted about ourselves. It was the first time we really got to know each other. We finally arrived at the library. Kakashi led the way inside and walked over to a couple of chairs set up in front of a group of young children. "Hello Mr. Kakashi!" The children shouted. "Hello everybody. Iruka couldn't make it today so-" "Who's the pretty lady? Is she your girlfriend?" A little girl interrupted. I noticed Kakashi blushed slightly. "Ahaha, no. This is my friend Asami." The children got up and started to crowd around me. I smiled warmly. "Hello, it's nice to meet you all. Why don't you tell me about some of the stories you've read?" Their eager chatter filled my ears as they pulled me to a chair.

Kakashi's POV

The children convinced her to read one of their favorite stories. As her voice read over the words, the children sat in rapt attention. Not even Iruka could hold their attention like that. Her voice was like a melody as it brought the story to life. Even I was entranced. She really is quite beautiful. It's no wonder Obito likes her. She was beautiful on the inside as well. When the children started bombarding her with questions, she never lost her smile and answered them patiently. "Mr. Kakashi?" Hmm? I realized I was openly staring at Asami. Whoops. I turned to the source of the voice. It was the girl from before. "Annabelle. What can I do for you?" The girl was staring at me with big blue eyes. "You like Ms. Asami don't you?" I was caught off guard. "Uh.." Annabelle gave me a big smile. "That's ok. I like her too. But Mr. Kakashi, if you like her so much then you should ask her to be your girlfriend." I looked back over to see Asami laughing. Maybe I will, I thought to myself.

Asami's POV

We were walking along downtown, trying to decide on a place to eat. After we had said our goodbyes to the children, with many of them making me promise to come back, Kakashi told me he would treat me to dinner as thanks. I told him it wasn't necessary but he was adamant. So here we were, strolling along. I was listing some places we could go and Kakashi didn't seem to be paying attention. He just kept giving me non-committal answers. Finally, I got fed up with his behavior. "Kakashi!" I yelled. His head snapped up. "Yes?" "You haven't even been paying attention to what I've been saying. Do you even want to eat out with me?" "Yes! I mean yes I do. It's just..." He looked kind of nervous. "It's just I want to ask you a question and I've been wondering how to ask you." We both stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. "Just ask me Kakashi." He sighed and scratched the back of his head. "You're right. Ok. Asami I was wondering if..." I didn't get to hear the rest of his sentence. "Kakashi! Asami! What a coincidence running into you two!" I looked up to see Guy waving at us with the rest of the PAL's trailing behind him. I noticed Kakashi face-palmed and murmured, "You always have the worst timing Guy." "Hey guys!" I waved back. "We were just trying to figure out where we're going for dinner." Iruka grinned. "We were just heading to dinner ourselves. Why don't you two join us?" I looked back to Kakashi. "Is that ok with you?" He sighed, seemingly in defeat. "Yeah, that's fine." "What was that question you wanted to ask me again?" "Nothing. Just forget about it." I shrugged. "Ok." Kurenai was asking how my day went so I missed the exchange that happened between Obito and Kakashi.

Kakashi's POV

I was watching Asami walk away and sighed again. There goes my chance. I felt someone's eyes on me. I turned to see Obito was giving me a frown. "Don't tell me. Not you too," he said. "Yep. Looks like it," I told him. He cussed under his breath. "Well just so you know, this isn't going to happen like it did with Rin." "You're right. Cause this time I'm going to be trying to win her heart over."