Memories

"Are you sure about this, Sean?" Signe asked. They were packing their bags for the trip on the cruise ship.

"Yeah of course I am," Jack said, zipping up his bag. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just... I'm worried," Signe answered. "I've just got a funny feeling, that's all." Jack looked over at Signe and smiled.

"It's gonna be ok, Woosher," he promised, using one of his affectionate nicknames for his girlfriend. Signe smiled a little, but she still looked uncertain. "Besides," Jack continued, focusing on their packing again. "We gotta do this for the charity, remember? Just think of this as a date; us, together on a cruise to South America! I think it's awesome that the President of America rented us the ship too to help our cause, and it was very nice of the Captain to agree to come all the way up here to Brighton to take us to Nicaragua himself."

"Yeah, but... I don't know, I just have an uncomfortable feeling." Signe shifted uneasily as she folded a shirt. Jack reached over and gently placed his hand on her hand.

"It'll be ok," he assured. "I know we've never been to South America before, but it'll be fun! I know we just moved in here to this amazing new house, but we'll get everything else all sorted out when we get back." Signe looked at her boyfriend before setting the shirt down and hugging him. Jack smiled and patted her on the head.

"It's gonna be ok, we'll be back before you know it."

Jack flinched and woke up with a gasp, an open book falling out of his lap. He sat there panting for a few seconds, then relaxed and slowly sat back, running his hand over his forehead.

Another memory... he sighed and covered his face with his hands, groaning softly as he rubbed his cheeks. God, how could I have said something like that to Signe and then gone and gotten myself lost at sea!? He sighed and put his hands down, and he looked around to remind himself of his surroundings.

He was in the cage with Mark, where he had been for two days. Jack was staying here waiting for Felix to return, hopefully with good news. To pass the time, Jack had continued teaching Mark to talk; he had gotten the hang of saying letters, but now he just needed to learn how to put them all together.

Jack turned his head to see that Mark was asleep, and that he was laying back against the giant's stomach. Jack yawned and nuzzled Mark's shirt, and he picked the book up and hugged it to his chest as he felt the surface under him rise and fall with each breath.

He sat there for a moment when the door suddenly opened, and Mark opened his eyes and lifted his head up as Signe walked in. Jack too opened his eyes, and he smiled.

"Hey." Signe smiled back and walked over to Jack.

"Hey," she said back as she sat beside Jack and leaned against him. Jack rested his chin on her head as he rested his hand on her back.

"Any news yet?" Jack asked. Signe shook her head.

"No. Not yet..." Signe looked up at Mark, who was watching the two people curiously. "How far has he gotten now?" She wondered.

"He's gotten better." Jack had persuaded Ken to take off the muzzler, which Mark was very glad about. "You wanna say hi buddy?" Jack asked.

"Hello," Mark rumbled with a little smile. His speaking had warmed up to a deep rich voice that sent vibrations through the bones of anyone close enough.