Chapter 3-The Sound of Hurting Hearts

Logans P.O.V.

I was a mess. My eyes were still red and puffy from crying last night. I didn't sleep at all and I wasn't ready to see her and not be able to say anything. I didn't want to get up. My phone buzzed.

Carter:Where are you? Class started like fifteen minutes ago

I left him on read and turned off my phone. I couldn't do this right now. I heard a soft knock on my door. 

"Yeah?" I croaked out. 

"Are you feeling okay honey?" I heard my mom ask softly through the door.

"I'm just not feeling well" I lied.

"Okay do you want me to bring you some breakfast before I leave with dad to work?" She asked.

"No, I'll make my own breakfast. Have a good day" I said trying my best to not sound sad.

"Alright, have a good day" My mother said. 

"You too, mom" I said. After some shuffling, low voices, and many minutes passing, I heard the front door shut. My eyes stung so much I closed my eyes tight. Eventually relaxing and slipping back into a deep sleep. After hours of being in and out of consciousness I woke up to my phone buzzing on the nightstand. I picked it up without looking.

"Hello?" My voice rasped. My throat felt dry.

"Hey, I didn't see you at school today I just wanted to make sure everything was okay" I heard Lynn's voice.

"I'm fine, just not feeling to great right now" I said, sitting up.

"Well do you want me to come over? I can bring some chinese food over" Lynn said.

"Potstickers?" I asked. I was wide awake now that food was a part of the conversation. My stomach growled.

"Yeah sure, I'll head over then! I should get there in about an hour or so" she said.

"Alright, I'll see you then" I said. 

"Bye" she said before hanging up. I got up to get some water and then unlock the doors so she could come in when she got there. Then I laid down again and texted her letting her know to just come in. It didn't take as long as I thought it would before I heard the front door open, but it wasn't who I expected to see.

"Just because things aren't exactly peachy right now doesn't mean you can freely skip my class" Hayley said.

"Oh, your class? I thought you were just the temp" I said bitterly. How could she look so okay while I was broken? She chuckled bitterly.

"So you're just rolling over and turning into a bitch?" She said.

"That's exactly what you decided to do yesterday. Why am I not allowed?" I retorted.

"I don't even know why I thought we'd work together" she said shaking her head, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"Because we did up until you assumed I had a crush on Lynn who is my friend and only my friend" I said.

"I risked everything for you Logan I was afraid I'd already lost you and I'm sorry you feel like I just gave up, but I realized we can't work!" She yelled.

"We can't work or you don't want to?" I said softly.

"You know I want to. It's just that after all this shit we've been through I don't want to keep fighting to have you in my life. Lynn is a fight I don't care to have right now" she said. I want to say she was completely and absolutely wrong, but I still understood what she meant to some degree. On some levels I even felt the exact same. We had been through so much. All of it was tiring. It pushed both of us to our limits and though the life threatening part had been over for months the pressures of how our relationship had to be was putting a strain on us. We couldn't go out in public and be ourselves. We had to lie and be careful around everyone. All of the pressures around us still sucked and were exhausting so I understood. That didn't stop my words though.

"Lynn was never a fight to begin with and you never had to fight for me to be by your side I was always there voluntarily. I gave you all of my love and you still refuse to see it. Just because she's a girl-"

"SHE FUCKING KISSED YOU. That's not something that friends do, Logan. Friends don't kiss!" Hayley exclaimed. 

"You know I rejected her. I made her know that I only wanted to be friends. She's been going through some pretty tough shit, similar to what we had to deal with before I don't want to alienate her further. She deserves to feel like people want her around too" I said.

"I'm done fighting about this. She has parents and adults she can always talk to if it's really that bad" Hayley said.

"You of all people should know why she hasn't reached out to those resources yet. She's fucking scared Hayles" I said. She opened her mouth, but none of the words Hayley wanted could fully form. They heard the front door open again and they both quieted down.

"Logan?" Lynn shouted out. Hayley rolled her eyes and gave Logan the "really?"  look.

"Get under the bed" I said quietly. Hayley sighed, but quickly laid on her back and pulled herself under the bed quickly. 

"Back here" I yelled. My bedroom door opened to reveal her friend in sweatpants and a baggy hoodie with some plastic bags filled with food. Lynn smiled awkwardly.

"Hey. I brought some food" Lynn said holding up the bags. 

"Sweet! Let's go get some plates and stuff from the kitchen" I said hoping that Hayley would have enough time to escape. Lynn nodded and we both stepped into the hallway. I closed the door and then showed Lynn around the house for a bit before getting to the kitchen.

"We should probably hurry the food might get cold" Lynn chuckled.

"That's what microwaves are for" I joked. Lynn rolled her eyes and laughed lightly.

"Well all I'm saying is why not eat before the food gets cold. I know we're both hungry, Logan" Lynn said. 

"Alright, fair point" I responded. I reached up into one of the cabinets, grabbing two plates and then reached down into a drawer to crab two forks. "Did you want anything to drink?" I asked, trying to stall further. Lynn shook her head.

"I bought us both coka cola before heading over too" she said. I nodded, picking up the plates and silverware before turning and slowly heading back to my bedroom with Lynn in tow. I tried the best I could to try and hear if Hayley was still trying to leave or not. I couldn't hear anything so I assumed Hayley had made it out. So when I let Lynn open the door we both walked in to the empty room. I cleared off some space on my desk before pulling up a chair and the extra stool I had in my room. Lynn brought over the drinks and the food and we both started serving the food and then we both ate. We both cracked jokes here and there and made small talk and I was able to forget the foul mood I had been in all day. It was a nice change of pace. After about an hour of hanging out,y phone buzzed and she saw a text from Hayley. 

H Bomb: Hey, can you wrap it up soon? My back hurts and we have to finish our conversation

She's still here? I thought. Then I smiled to myself. Making Hayley wait wouldn't be such a bad thing to do... and it would be fun to annoy her a bit. Maybe I'm just being immature??? Nah... I put my phone back in my pocket and Lynn looked at me weird.

"Is that your girlfriend?" She asked trying to hide her burning curiosity. 

"Well, my ex now, I guess. I didn't want to end things, but she seemed really eager to dump me" I joked. Lynn frowned. Guess it didn't come across as funny? "She knows I have company over and she wants me to wrap things up and send you on your way so we can finish our conversation" I said. 

"I'll go I feel you need me to" Lynn said quickly she was about to start getting up.

"Don't worry about it. It's a very one sided argument that I don't care to have. I've already had enough of a crappy day" 

"Is that why you weren't at school?" Lynn asked. I nodded.

"Oh"