Chapter 9-No One

Logan's P.O.V.

That weekend was hell. I couldn't grab my phone since I didn't know where Zac's house was and I couldn't get a hold of Carter. My parents were a bit annoyed by how grumpy I was being so I just told them what happened. So here I am. Grounded a week before I turn 18. It's Sunday night and our film got rejected from all of the local film festivals happening. I also found out that my parents want to move this year so now I've really got to save up so I can just leave. I mean... Why would I even stay? I'm always lying to Lynn, Jenna is going through her whole spat with Tay, I'm not even that close with Jeremy, Zac, Andy, or any of those guys, Carter is always busy doing his own thing now, then Hayley and I are... Well... Done. To top it all off I just hate myself and where my life is going at this point. I'm not rich, but maybe I don't want to live in this town for the rest of my life just shelving books and getting drunk. Maybe it'd be cool to travel to other places. Meet new people and have good experiences. Sure, there would be bad ones too, but I've already had awful experiences at home. Lately it just seems like everything keeps piling up and it's all negative, like in some sort of movie or book where things have to hit rock bottom before they get better. What would be my rock bottom?

Is it now? Would I even cry? Would I finally break when I graduate and see Hayley for the last time. Would it be when I'm driving away knowing that it was the last time and only being able to call her Ms. Williams. No last kiss... No real closure. No happy ending where she pulls me aside and magically fixes everything. Fixes me? I wish. 

So now it's Monday morning. Hayley seems to be running late which is something that used to worry me. Well, it still does because of everything we went through, but I don't carry the right to be worried about her anymore. At least, I don't think that's how this works... Does it?

"Somebodies thinking especially hard today" Carter commented as he sat next to me.

"Yeah, that happens when you aren't distracted by technology. Who are you texting?" I asked, trying to look over. 

"Just this guy I met Friday. He's okay, but in all honesty I kinda have a thing with Ariel... I like them both, but I really just don't know who to persue" he said and the sighed. "You don't think I'm being greedy, do you?" he asked. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What do you mean? You like who you like and who cares?" I said. "Anyone would be lucky to be with you. Be it a guy or a girl. Plus, Ariel is like... super awesome" I said. He giggled a bit. 

"Thanks" he replied before going back to his phone. I was going to close my eyes for a bit, but then Hayley walked in and got the classes attention. Her hair looked different again, but that was beside the point because she very clearly had a bruise on her cheekbone. It was obvious she tried to cover it up, but failed. It was probably from Jenna on Friday.

"Yes, I got hit by a drunk person this weekend. No, I would not like to talk about it. Instead we are going to be talking about your next project which will run till the end of the year. It's basically going to be your final, but you have two months to work on it. You're getting plenty of time to cushion yourself on so I expect you all to put your best effort into the project" she droned on. I zoned out about five minutes into her speech. She handed out papers so I figured I probably didn't have to listen anymore. I could just look at the paper later. 

"Now you can spend the rest of class thinking about how you're going to get this done. Good luck." Hayley added. I started to glance over the page before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw Hayley handing my phone to me. 

"You left it at Zac's" she turned to Carter, "And Brian wanted me to say hi for him" she ended and went back to her desk. I looked at my phone and it appeared as if she had charged it. There were a bunch of missed calls and texts from Carter, Kimmie, Lynn, Jenna, and Tay? The bell rang so I got up to go to my next class. During gym Lynn didn't bother talking to me. Maybe because of this weekend and how I totally ran away from her. That was probably a real dick move... I decided to sit next to her while everyone else was finishing up their laps.

"I'm sorry for Friday" I started.

"Don't worry about it" she said, not even bothering to look in my direction.

"Did I really hurt your feelings that bad?" I asked. She opened her mouth then closed it again. Her hesitation was starting to worry me till she turned and looked me in the eyes with determination written into her features. 

"Why did Ms. Williams answer your phone this weekend?" she asked. My eyes widened with shock before quickly coming up with yet another lie.

"I went to this party with Carter and then dipped when I found out she was there... I left my phone on accident" I said. Well it wasn't really a lie. Just not the complete truth... Definitely not the whole story... "She very awkwardly gave me my phone this morning and it was the most awkward thing" I said trying to lighten the mood. Lynn bought it and giggled.

"That must've been awful. Did she chew you out?" Lynn asked.

"No, she's probably just as embarrassed as I am to be found at that party" I asked. Lynn laughed more and I felt my stomach flutter a bit. Did I? I don't know... I've been feeling weird all day.

"Speaking of embarrassing... Did you know that I tripped down the stairs when I was trying to get to you? My mom was so worried it became a whole thing. She took me to the doctors and made them give me a note to not do gym activities because it would be too strenuous after that little fall" she said.

"One, how is that embarrassing? Two, you don't have to do exercise and that's always a plus in my book" I said jokingly. She laughed again and ended up snorting which made me giggle a bit. "Also, I'm sorry I ran like that. If I hadn't you wouldn't have had to go through all of that"

"Do we ever stop apologizing to one another or are we just really awful?" She asked and we laughed together again. For the first time in awhile I felt happy again and I didn't need a mind altering substance to do it. It was a good moment. Nowadays those are few and far between.

Hayley's P.O.V.

"Hey, Ms. Williams?" I heard a voice ask. I turned and saw Kimmie.

"What can I help you with?" I asked, putting on a smile. Not that I really felt like smiling... or being here at all, but I have to make money somehow. 

"I just want a bit of advice... for a friend" she asked, seeming very nervous.

"I'll try my best to help out. Wanna sit down?" I asked, pointing to the chair in front of my desk while I sat in my own. She nodded and got comfortable. 

"If you know that something illegal and wrong is happening, but you're afraid of hurting people you care about, what do you do?"

"Is this drug related?" I asked.

"It's illegal... What would you do?" she asked.

"Well... I'm not a good example, Kimmie. The best I can do is tell you to go to a trusted adult with the situation and let an adult know if it's for the benefit of someone you care about. It may seem difficult at the time, but you've got to do it or you might regret not speaking up" I said. 

"Thank you Ms. Williams" she said. 

"Don't worry about it" I said. She quickly stood up and left.