Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Greyson

Aspen jumps from the table and stalks away. I scoot my chair closer to Nix. "Did I do something wrong?" she asks me.

"With Aspen? Nah," I respond. "He just gets that way sometimes. It's just his regret."

"Hey Grey!" Luca calls from down the table. "How is she? Is she feisty? I like 'em that way in bed."

I watch as Eden literally looks like she want to kill this girl. Eden hangs onto Luca, pushing her breasts against his arm and whispering something in his ear. "How about you meet me at my room at nine tonight. We can have a little fun!" Out of the corner of my eye I can see the girl's cheek turn red.

Mila reaches across the table and slaps Luca in the face. "Pipe the fuck down you man whore!"

"Yeah," I lean closer to Nix. "Don't let Luca get to you," I whisper. "He does that to everyone. Take Eden for example." I motion to the blonde slut splayed across Luca's lap. Eden's eyes lock onto mine. I can see the torture behind them, the torture she tries so hard to conceal. Drunk driving. That's how she hit the wall. Seventeen years old, and she killed three children and their mother. I would know. They were my younger sisters and my mother.

"Am I not allowed to have some fun?" Luca questions. "I don't get to smoke, they take my matches. I don't even have a life here!" He throws his head back in exasperation. "Really?"

"Shut up." Milo speaks for the first time at dinner. "Leave the girl alone and give me your damn matches." Milo holds out his hand. Luca grits his teeth and then reaches into his pocket. He slides the matches to Milo and he slides them down to me. "Keep your matches to yourself."

Milo is protective. He has some twisted desire to protect his sister, and every other girl Luca tries to fuck. That's why he didn't let his sister go down for her crime alone. If only I could have stopped my mom from leaving that night...

Milo stares at me with his piercing blue eyes, scolding me for giving Luca matches.

I drop my head, my gray hair falling into my eyes. These people, I swear. All I try to do is help. And then I get punished for it. Frustrated, I get up, nearly knocking my chair over. I grab the package of matches and shove them in my pocket before stalking off. The cafeteria door slams shut behind me and I jog up the steps to the main hall. I got out the front doors and into the chilling air. I look up at the sky as it begins to go dark.

I dig into my pockets, hands shaking. I should have stopped my mom from leaving that night. I pull out a small orange pill bottle. If my parents wouldn't have had that fight, they would still be alive. I fumble with the bottle, looking down at the name--Forbes, Greyson. My prescription for death. I should have stopped them, or at least went with them. Then I wouldn't be here.

My sweating hands pop the lid off the bottle.

A hand touches my back. "Are you alright?"

I jump and the pill bottle goes flying from my hand. The orange container hits the ground, white pills scattering everywhere. I drop to my knees, my hands shaking even more now. "Fuck," I mutter trying to salvage my savior in this hell.

"I'm so sorry!" The girl Nix drops to her knees next to me. "I didn't mean--"

"It's fine," I snap harshly at her. I glance up at her. She looks pale and hurt. Different. I would have expected her to snap back at me, most people would. I bite back on my lip and soften my tone. "Really, it's okay. It actually kinda helped." I stand and help her to her feet. I put the lid back on the bottle and pocket it with only a third of the pills I had to begin with.