The Start of Loss

I think its funny how war works, how it progresses, just one year ago our president stated: "On this tenth day of June 1940, the hand that held the dagger had struck it into the back of its neighbor." It shows that war never goes anywhere it stays running on an empty road until someone realizes that there is no winning war there's only losing the best. So we set our bombers and we load them up we tell them you will be the one that helps us keep treading through the mud. I was destined to be the best at losing the best, that was my purpose. I wanted to be on the front lines not stuck listening to the endless run on the telly. It's how that very quote can say so much in the times we live in now. Japan a neighbor to Hawaii stabbed us right in our foot and now we're mad. I was in the shooting range, (one of the best shots there) when some fat-headed 18-year-old's gun malfunctioned and blew my foot into a shallow grave. I got taken off the lines with a purple heart.

I look around the hospital it is cold and uninviting the smell of death is trying its best to hide behind a sour rubbing alcohol stench. There are nurses bustling around tending to different patients. Some of my fellow crippled have it worse off than I do. I look to my right and three beds over, I see a man got bit by a bullet right in the trunk. Don't know his name and have no intention to find out. Then to my left I see a man named Jerry he was probably my favorite person in the whole hospital. He was in a coma and could not annoy me. I look out the window where a lone tree bustles in the wind. It is a clear sky today and looks as if it's shaping up to be pretty swell. I looked down at the side of my bed and there I saw the most recent bane of my existence, the prosthetic leg they tried to get me to where. It was uncomfortable and made my legs lopsided as it was much shorter than my real fleshy dear to my heart leg. It put me back in my usually rut of a bad mood so I decided to bring my attention elsewhere.

I got lucky, I had the bed next to the music box, a brand spanking new Howard radio. Right now the song "I'll Never Smile Again" was reflecting my mood as we speak, you don't know how much you love your foot until it's gone right while you were on the starting line of your destiny. I listened in closer as the usual radio broadcast was interrupted with a message from a grim sounding individual. I listen as a reporter states that he and his team had a distant view of a brief battle on Pearl Harbor. He said that Pearl Harbor had been severely bombed by enemy planes that were recognized unmistakably as Japanese planes. He states the city of Honolulu has been attacked as well, in a battle that has gone on for three hour as he speaks. He says one of the bombs has dropped fifty feet from the KUT tower. The hustle and bustle of the hospital stops as everyone gathers around the radio holding their breaths, confusion and fear filled their faces mixing around in a endless tornado of emotions we wondered, How could this happen? And what will happen? My focus drifted back to the radio as I heard a line that I will never forget. It is muttered with a sadness and a sorrow it comes out as a warning, it is "This Is No Joke: This Is War."