Epilouge

Sara stared out the car window gloomily. The musty 1953 Cadillac had been traveling for hours, with no sign of stopping. Her father was up front, driving, while her mother was reading an Vouge magazine. "Where are we even driving to?" she whined. Her father turned around and said "We are going to see someone very important in my life. Besides, we are almost there."

They finally stopped outside of an rusting gate, that had emblazoned on the top: Liberty Cemetery. Sara went inside, and saw multiple rows of gravestones. Her father led the way, stopping at several graves before moving on again. Finally, he stopped at one grave. Sara looked at it, it was nothing special, it was cracked and weathered in several places, but you could still see the text written on it: Robert E. Williams 1903-1954. Her father Masato knelt down. "I never got to say goodbye," he said, his voice cracking "and when I received word of the funeral, I couldn't bring myself to forgive him, but now..." Her mother drew Sara back "Honey, how about we leave Daddy alone for a while." Sara heard her father say "Thanks Aubrey." They sat down on the park bench, and Sara said "So what's the deal with Robert E. Williams?" So her mother told her all of it, the trip to the camp, the Revolution Club, the riot, and how her father got shot. She also told Sara what happened after, leaving the camp, meeting Aubrey again, and becoming used to society again. Now Sara understood it all. Her father walked to her and hugged them both. "If Robert were here today, I think he'd be proud of what I am today." her father said. Sara grabbed the book Crime and Punishment she was reading and read the final lines of its epilogue. "But that is the beginning of a new story--the story of the gradual renewal of a man, the story of his gradual regeneration, of his passing from one world into another, of his initiation into a new unknown life. That might be the subject of a new story, but our present story is ended." Her father smiled at her, and they all walked together towards their car, and a new life.