Chapter 1 Why

I stare out onto the dark lifeless ocean but all I can see is flashbacks, flashbacks that haunt me to this very day but why? I feel tears forming in my eyes, "Ava I hear a recognisable shout the voice gets louder "Ava" I look to my right and see Jesse I turn to look at him and all I can see is a dark blue rain coat.

"I needed to talk to you" I say with a shaking voice

"What's wrong Ava" he puts his hand on my shoulder I'm reluctant to tell him  "Ava what is wrong" his voice was in a whisper bearly audible over the sound of the waves crashing against the shore there's a storm brewing and I know it.

"I...I...errm...Don't know ...why I'm here" he smiles and hugs me taking me off guard 

"That's ok" I smile a weak smile and he kisses my head, "Ava I'm not going to leave you... You know" I nod he makes me look at him "Ava you will do it I know you can, it will just take time that's all" I feel cold wet droplets touching my shoulder "now come on let's get inside" I give him a confused look "inside the tower"

"But..but"

"Ava no but's it's fucking cold and wet out here and warm in there it's raining" he says taking my arm and dragging me towards the tower

"But they don't know me"

"It doesn't matter they will love you"

"But this is a awkward situation" he gives me his doesn't care look.

We walk through the blue lifeguard door he does have a point it's so warm in here the men in the tower are all in light blue uniforms "guys I'd like you to meet someone" they all turn around except a few who were watching the water "this is Avery my best friend " I've only met two of the lifeguards and they are Maxi the goofball and Harrison the kiwi with a heart of gold. They all smile

"Finally we get to meet you Ava the kid has told us a lot about you" a older man said with a chuckle.

"Shush Box" Jesse snaps

"All good I hope" I giggled I had completely forgot why I found myself at Bondi

"Yeah all good but he did say you snore" someone else added.

"Reidy she...Avery isn't my girlfriend mate"

"I've seen you surf Hawaii's big set" Someone said "very impressive" I don't remember doing that but answer politely.

"Thank you" I answer and Jesse points to a chair "Nah I'm ok" he gives me a look so I sit down

"Ava want a red bull?" I shake my head "oh I forgot sorry" my phone flashes there was a text from my aunt Em (Ava where are you??) I reply quickly (with Jesse) I zone out watching the water then I see fingers clicking I see Jesse's mouth move but no sound.

"I can't hear you"  then the static sound fills my ears again my head hurts.

"Can you hear me now" he says after a few seconds I nod "good here eat this" I give him a look "Ava you stomach growled" I laugh as he hands me a Tim tam bar.

"Thank you".

I stay quiet as they carry on with their work I feel my phone buzzes (Ok see you soon) "So what do you do?" the man Jesse said was Reidy asked.

"I um help my aunt run her salon" ,I'm not very good with small talk he smiles I shiver Jesse hands me a jacket, I walked out of the house in my shorts and a tee shirt what was I thinking, I wasn't thinking I never think I can't think it hurts to think.

"Ava do you want me to take you home?" I shake my head.

"Not yet if that's ok with you guys?".

"That's fine stay for as long as you want" a older man said with a smile, from the moment I walked through the door I felt like I knew this place but why?.

Seconds turned into minutes I found it interesting how this place worked like a clock, the blue door opens and in walks a man I recognise his eyes were as blue as the sea where have I seen him before "Azza this is Ava" he smiles at me before extending his hand.

"Nice to meet you Ava" he shakes my hand my head begins to hurt and I begin to sweat.

"How old are you Ava?" the older man asks.

"18" I answer shakily.

"Whose her guardian Jesse?, she doesn't look well"

"Ava have you took any medication today? I shrug "oh Ava, she has memory loss" Jesse answers "the trauma she suffered makes her fit"

"Where's your pen"

"My bag"

"Where Ava? Jesus" Jesse answers searching my bag "found it".

"She's coming round" I look up at the unknown room "Ava your at Bondi you came looking for me"Jesse answers ah I remember I slowly sit up.

"Are you sure you don't need a Ambo?" someone asks.

"I'm sure Box that's because she didn't eat today, thanks for that Av" Jesse laughs I smile "it wasn't funny".

"Sorry" he gives me a hug "Sorry Jesse, Sorry everyone".

"Hey darling you have nothing to be sorry for" someone who had a warm smile says "I'm Anthony but call me Harries" he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"We should call her parents" the older man said.

"Ok H but call her aunt" Jesse says but I can't help but roll my eyes at Jesse as he gave the older man I now know as H my aunts number.

"Where are you from?" Azza asks.

"I grew up in Maroubra but my mums Greek, her visa ran out so she had to go back to Greece my dad is Australian so I was allowed to stay here that's what my auntie said anyway" I see some strange looks get throw about.

"What's your name?"

"Avery Alanis" the convocation was cut short by a knock on the door.

I've been working on this story for a while hope you guys like it.