Chapter 3 Late Night Talks

A couple days passed since I was at Bondi "Ava...Avery" I look up from my laptop to see brown eyes staring at me I take my headphones out "takes these to table 7 will ya?" my cousin Anthony asks well more like tells me to I cautiously take the green round tray which only had two items on it from him confused "table 7 επτά" he repeats then sighs I don't move I put the tray down I am afraid "sit down Ma" he shouts lifting the counter I slowly sit down with Anthony's help as my aunt comes up to me.

"What happened?" She asked concerned.

"I asked her to take this tray and she I don't know" he answers quickly.

"Your stupid Anthony" she hits him around the head "she's not ready to do that" she turns to me "it's ok sweetie," she kisses my head "carry on with what you were doing" I put my headphones back in.

"Ma stop babying her, she's 19 not a baby" I hear Anthony say "she won't do anything if you don't make her".

"She's fragile Anthony, Ava needs time" she says walking back to front of house Anthony whispers something under his breath but gives me a smile before going back to the kitchen.

Being Greek you are surrounded by family constantly even though most my family live in Athens they are always interfering we are kinda like the real life family from my big fat Greek wedding the film I'm currently watching except my uncle Tobias doesn't use windex to make everything better he's a true believer in lemon "Ava, Avery" I hear someone say quietly my headphones get moved "can I use your laptop my other cousin Anastasia asks she takes it off me I don't even have time to process what she was doing "thanks"

"No Anna" too late she already minimised the movie to see the page I googled her eyes go wide.

"Ava why are you googling Australian surfers of 1997" I think she must of remember "Avie stop living a fantasy your dad probably isn't a surfer you need to move on" maybe she is right maybe I should move on and forget that's what I'm good at anyway "what does papa always say don't be wishing for what you never had", my grandad is a very wise man "you don't need a dad Ava you have family which loves you" easy for you to say you have a dad, "come on my mum said to come and get you".

"What did you need my laptop for anyway?" she shuts the lid and begins to walk "Anna".

"To spy on Lucas but the wifi here is poopy so it will have to wait until we are home" I give her a look as we reach her red mini "you know Lucas Hudson" I shake my head "well anyway he was in our history lessons at school" Anna is only 3 months older than me and has light brown hair like me but has green eyes like her mum growing up people use to think we were twins when my aunt use to take us out " he was super fit and apparently he's single but he won't add me as a friend on Facebook" I can't help but laugh "Ava".

"Anna it's because your a creeper".

"Anyway" she continues as she begins to drive "he might talk to you because.."

"Because what? Anna?".

"Your little memory thing" I go quiet "oh Ava I'm sorry".

"No Anna you can't use my memory problem as a excuse to talk to a boy" I say with my voice slightly raised "how did I do it?" She pulls into a Aldi carpark.

"Ma says we're not suppose to talk about it" she answers quickly she goes to get out of the car but I grab her arm, I really need to know "I need..." I cut her off.

"Why? Why Anna? why does everyone treat me like a baby? Is that why I'm treated like a baby?" I see tears in her eyes "Anna answer me!."

"Because you almost died Ava we almost lost you that's why" she shouts after she covers her mouth, that's why Jesse got emotional she begins to cry and so do I, I nearly died and I don't remember,she gives me big hug not letting go as we cry together in the car as because of you by Kelly Clarkson plays quietly in the background "I'm sorry Ava I shouldn't of told you like that" she blubbers out "I shouldn't of used you to get Lucas to talk to me I'm so sorry Ava I really am " we both wipe our eyes "I love you Ava so much".

"I love you too Anna" even though she says stupid things I will always forgive her after all we are family.

"Let's get home I'll make your favourite muffins".

Anna was whisking the mixture together as I watched closely "Nina your mum is a good cook" Anna smiles, when she lived here we use to bake all the time with her you always got flour everywhere, before Ma came home we use to have to clean quickly but Ma always knew she would be like" she does a impression of aunt Em "Nina you let Ava into the flour again, and Nina would just laugh and be like" she tries to do a impression of my mum but fails "sorry she likes flour what can I say" I smile maybe one day I will remember that, maybe one day when someone retells a memory I will remember, I look to see the clock behind her no wonder I'm yawning it's midnight the restaurant is closing soon so the rest of them will be home.

"Sorry Anna I'm going to head to bed I'm tired", I get down from the side.

"That's fine Ava night" she gives me a hug, "I'll finish them tomorrow after church are you coming " I shake my head "come on just once."

"Nope Night Anna" I answer walking out of the kitchen.

As I walk up the stairs I hear Anna say to herself "God I'm stupid so stupid a idiot even" followed by something get thrown "I should of kept my mouth shut" then I hear a sigh "poor Ava".

Hey a double update hope you guys like the look into Ava's family.