Chapter 5 The Truth

It was a lovely sunny day so me and Jesse finally begin the walk I hear a sound of camera but ignore it as I ran a stick against the trees like you see children "Australia is beautiful" I say in Greek "how do I even remember Greek?" I laugh as we walk there was people walking their dogs, children riding their bikes, families walking with babies in pushchairs a typical Sunday morning.

"It's part of you I guess" he says then chuckles "it's weird seeing you in a dress, you're either in jeans or sweats it's different, today has been different I still can't believe you made me go to church I haven't been in one since primary school and that was 16 years ago I just laugh

"I am a girl still I have to dress up once in a while" he mutters something under his breath "what was that?" It was probably someone else "how's work?"

"Nothing It's been quiet since the day you came" I look back at him "how are you now?"

"I'm ok other than" I chuckle "I had a freak out because Ant handed me a tray and I got confused stupid I know" he smiles  "could we go to the beach where my accident happened?"  he looks hesitant "please Jess, I want to" he shakes his head "your a hypocrite Jess you still surfed ours after nearly br.." he doesn't let me finish my sentence.

"Fine but If you get too stressed out we are going" I nod giving him a huge hug "what's with all the hugs" I just shrug.

"Thank you but I probably won't remember anything so there is no worry there".

We walk to Jesse's house which was five minutes away and a stones throw from the beach you can hear the waves crashing against the shore it makes me shiver "Ava are you sure?" He asks unlocking the car he must of noticed, I nod opening the door to Jesse's white Audi A5 I just want to have my life back.

We begin the drive in silence some horrible music was playing "you have horrible taste" I think it was rap, then I get thinking I don't even know where the accident was "Where was it?"

"Bronte beach"  he answers with his eyes on the road "please text your family I've heard your phone and it's driving me crazy" I roll my eyes "Ava just do it why are you annoyed with them?"

"Because they treat me like a baby" I quickly text back to Anna  (I'm fine stop worrying I'm with Jesse I felt claustrophobic) I assume they are all together.

"They were only protecting you" I look away from him "there's something else.. what is it?".

"They know who my dad is, my family have lied to me for 18 years,I heard them talking last night after I went to bed Anna told my aunt I was searching for him online and my aunt said my mum saw him at my competition".

"It still doesn't mean they actually know" I shrug "what else do you know?".

"He's a lifeguard you work with him..that's all I know" he was silent "do you know something?"

"No.. I don't Ava and I'm not about to ask everyone I work with did you sleep with Ava's mum" I'm getting annoyed so I call my mum "what are you doing?".

"Since your being a sarcastic bastard I'm calling the only person who knows who he actually is my mum like you said she did sleep with him" I put the phone on loudspeaker after the third ring she picks up.

"Hello" she sounded tired.

"Mum I know my dad is a lifeguard why don't you just tell me who he is?"

"Because Avery..I was embarrassed I barely knew him" I see Jesse giving me a look " don't think I don't love you because I do I didn't know I was pregnant and it was too late he left the country, there was many occasions when I was going to tell him but I just couldn't I was scared that he would reject you and that thought broke my heart" a tear rolled down my face .

"He was there the day of my accident wasn't he".

"Yes he brought you out of the water, he was the one who saved your life" I hear her sob I'm sorry Ava I'm going to have to go" the line went dead I stare at my phone.

"Mum, mum hello" still no response .

"She's gone" well done captain obvious I look up to see we had already made it to the beach.

"How long have we been here? Jesse you were there that day you must know who, don't feed me some bull".

"Before you called you mum" he opens the door and gets out I follow him "just drop it Ava" we were both getting annoyed

"Why he's my dad".

"Because you shouldn't find out like this".

"If you know what else are you hiding" he groans.

"Ava just stop...I'm not hiding anything and if you do find out what do you expect some happy fucking reunion, no Avery that won't happen because we don't live in a fairytale Ava this is real life," I just stare at him I can't believe what he just said he's supposed to be my friend.

"Fuck you" I walk away.

"Ava I'm sorry I just don't want you to get hurt" he sighs "I care about you" I stop and turn to him to see him almost crying "I saw you almost die and since then I swore to myself I wouldn't let you get hurt again your not the only one who has dreams Ava I have them too".

"Why?" I question getting emotional.

"Because your my best friend and I couldn't do anything but watch I couldn't get involved because it was too personal, but they did what I would of done to make you live."

Hey everyone hope your enjoying the story, who do you think is Avery's father and what do you think about Jesse and Avery's friendship. Don't forget to vote and Comment.