X Chapter 1 X

A/N: Images used are just found from google searches (unless otherwise stated as fan art given to me).. I don't art well

The elevator came to a screeching halt and Drucilla tensed, waiting for the doors to open. This was it, she was finally going to take the Hunter's Exam. With a hunter's license, she'd easily be able to lose herself in the criminal underworld and finally put a stop to the awful human trafficking ring she and so many others had fallen victim to. It was her goal, to protect the innocents and make those who made her and so many others suffer, pay for their crimes. Catching a glimpse of her reflection in the doors before they slid open, she saw fear in her dark green eyes.

Sighing, she smoothed her hands down her lithe form flattening any wrinkles from the simple loose black dress that hung off her delicate frame. Taking a deep breath, she resigned herself to step off the elevator and into the dingy dark tunnel. There were various pipes and ducts running through the tunnel near the ceiling and along the walls. A short green man with a kind smile greeted her and extended a button to her with the number 69 flashing up at her.

"Welcome. Be sure to wear this at all times and don't lose it."

"Thanks." Drucilla offered him a polite nod of her head as she accepted the button and pinned it to her dress before stepping further into the tunnel. The number on the badge must have indicated the number of their arrival based on the amount of people already in the dingy tunnel.

She glanced around the room and felt her nerves starting to get the better of her, there were already quite a few intimidating people and the tension in the air was stifling. A few people eyed her with curiosity, some whispered to others in jest, she didn't look like she belonged and there was an aura of murderous intent lingering in the air that sent a shiver down her spine. Deciding this wasn't the place to make friends, Drucilla wandered off to one side to claim a seat atop a large duct running along the floor along the wall of the tunnel.

"I haven't seen you before." A short middle aged man with brown hair, a somewhat rounded nose that reminded her of a pig snout, and dark eyes approached her with what he thought was a friendly smile. "This your first time?"

Drucilla eyed him suspiciously, he'd waited until she'd broken away from the others, like a predator trying to corner its prey. Unfortunately for him, she wouldn't be easy prey. "It is." She offered him a polite nod of her head though was careful to keep an eye on him. Deceit hung in the air around him, it was pouring off of him in waves and left a bitter taste in her mouth.

"I'm Tonpa." He extended a hand to her in greeting.

"Drucilla." She replied softly as she reluctantly accepted his hand shake, he didn't have any weapons and didn't appear to have any form of combat training that she could discern from how he carried himself and the lack of callouses on his hands and she couldn't sense any aura from him, but he wasn't harmless. After one quick pump, she released his hand and waited for him to get to the point of his approaching her.

"I'm sort of a veteran around here, this is my thirty fifth time taking the exam, so feel free to ask me any questions." He smiled.

Drucilla resisted the urge to tell him that if she were going to ask anyone questions it wasn't going to be the person who failed the exam the most. "Thank you." She replied in a dismissive tone.

"Shall we have a toast to our new friendship?" He asked with a smile as he retrieved two cans of juice from his satchel.

"We're not friends." Drucilla replied coolly, quickly getting annoyed with his hovering.