Chapter Four

James stared at the tiled floor of the waiting room as he patiently waited for Thomas.

"Mr. Madison?" James looked up to see the doctor, looking down at a clipboard. "May I ask you who you are in relation to Thomas?"

"Close friend," the man looked up from his clipboard and stepped back when he saw James' bruised face. "Please don't ask," James muttered, looking down.

"Yes, well Thomas will be able to leave today, in a few minutes actually, after he finishes filling out a few forms first," James nodded. "You can just wait here until he is finished, have a good day," the doctor walked away, his face still looking slightly shocked by James' appearance.

"Wow, that makes me feel so much better, thanks sir," James muttered to himself, scratching at his hands. "Hurry up Thomas," James scratched harder, drawing blood.

His chest tighten and the room around him seeming to be shrinking. James tugged at the collar of his shirt, only to return to scratching at his hand a few seconds later, his eyes glued to the floor.

It wasn't until a caramel-hued hand was placed on top of his that the scratching stopped and James picked his eyes up.

"Please don't do that," Thomas' eyes were soft, staring down at James. James saw the cast on Thomas' arm and all he could seem to think was, That's because of me.

"Whatever, lets go," James pushed past Thomas, his voice had a cold edge. Thomas sighed, following the boy anyway.

"James wait up-" Thomas said, trying to keep up with James' fast pace as they walked into the parking lot. "James!"

Thomas almost ran into him when James stopped in his tracks, turning around to look at Thomas. Thomas noticed immediately how angry James' eyes looked.

"Don't. Tell. Me. What. To. Do." James poked at Thomas chest after every word. "Stop acting like you care, stop acting like I matter, and stop acting like I didn't deserve what Reynolds did to me! I deserved it Thomas. All. Of. It. Now get in the damn car."

The small man's burst of anger slightly frightened Thomas. He stepped back, tears starting to flood down his cheeks.

James heard Thomas sniffle and whipped around, his face surprised.

"Thomas, why are you crying?" James was alarmed, all of the anger from the previous minute washing away.

Thomas wiped his face and knitted his eyebrows.

"James, don't you get it?" Thomas was just about bawling now, leaving James unsure of what to do. "Can't you see it?"

"Thomas, what?" James asked, taking a step towards him.

"I love you goddammit."