Chapter Five

"What?" James was taken aback.

"James, I love you," Thomas took a step towards him. James' expression was unreadable, distant even. "Jem? James talk to me."

"I..." James didn't know what to say, all he could do was stare at the ground.

"James I know you don't feel the same I just need you to know that I love you. So much." Thomas gave him a small smile.

James looked up, anger and hate filled his eyes.

"Thomas, I knew you were a liar, that was pretty clear. I just never thought you'd lie to me," James small frame shook as he spoke, every word laced with fury. "You don't love me Thomas. You pity me, or maybe you want to make fun of me. Either way, I'm done, you can stop now," Thomas was stunned. "Call Burr to give you a ride. I need to be alone."

James stormed off, slamming his car door as he got into it. He drove away, leaving Thomas alone.

After realizing what had happened he fished his phone out of his pocket.

"Hello?" Aaron's voice rang out through the phone.

"Aaron-" Thomas covered his mouth, trying not to make it obvious he was crying. "I need you to pick me up. I'm- I'm at the hospital," Thomas crossed his arms, staring at the pavement.

"Okay Thomas, I'll be there in ten," Thomas heard the line cut out, Aaron had hung up.

Thomas sat down on the bench outside of the hospital doors. He buried his face in his hands, feeling himself start to crumble. He just lost his best friend, his best friend that isn't in a good mindset. His best friend that is probably sinking even further into depression because of him. He sobbed into his hands, which made the time seem to go faster as he broke down, curling into a ball.

"Thomas?" Aaron asked, his soft voice sounding concerned. Jefferson wasn't one to break down crying, not in public at least. "Thomas are you okay?"

"Do I look like I'm fucking okay?" Thomas growled, wiping his face with his sleeve. Aaron wouldn't have taken that response if it weren't for the clearly devastated expression Thomas was wielding. "What happened?"

"James left. He took me here, waited for me while the doctors looked at my hand. Then I told him something, something I shouldn't have. I ruined everything," Thomas looked up at Aaron with his teary eyes. "He just got in his car and left. I don't know where he's going, but he's definitely never talking to me again," Burr gave him a sympathetic look, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"How about we get you back to your dorm and we can talk about this, okay? I'll make you mac and cheese."

Thomas gave him a small smile. "Okay Aaron. Thank you." Though Thomas didn't talk to Burr often, only once in a while to rant about Hamilton, he had to admit, Aaron wasn't too bad of a friend.

"No problem Jefferson."

A/N: Does anyone even like this book?