Chapter Twenty Three

As the days passed James went to the hospital every day to visit Thomas, who seemed to be getting better. Every night James had the same nightmare about Reynolds, though he decided not to tell Thomas, not wanting him to be worried.

"Hey James," Thomas greeted as James entered his hospital room. He only had two days left before he could leave, and he was restless, eager to be back home at his dorm with James.

"Hi Tommy," Jams grinned as he took a seat in the chair next the bed as he usually did. "How're you feeling?"

"I'm feeling like escaping this hospital so that I can be home with you," Thomas said, sighing.

James smiled, taking Thomas' hand. "Only a couple more days Thomas, then you'll be out of this hellhole," Thomas huffed, staring up at the ceiling. "Patience Tommy, I want you out of here just as bad."

"Well two days feels like for-fucking-ever Jem. I'm dying in here," Thomas exaggerated, gazing at James, who rolled his eyes. "Okay so I'm not dying, but it feels like it. Cooped up in this tiny room, it sucks."

"I know, I know," James said understandingly, squeezing Thomas' hand.

"Enough about that. How have you been doing Jem?" Thomas asked, concern clear on his face. "With everything that happened, how are you holding up?"

"I'm okay," James said half-heartedly, giving Thomas a weak smile.

"James," Thomas said firmly. "You're a bad liar. Tell me what's wrong." James sighed, dodging Thomas' eyes. "Please? You know I hate it when you don't talk to me about things that are bothering you."

"I've just been having a lot of nightmares," James explained, looking down at his shoes like they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"About Reynolds?" James nodded. "God I could just kill that guy. I can't believe anyone you do that to someone as sweet as you. You didn't deserve anything Reynolds did to you James, you know that right?" James smiled, nodding. "Good. When I get out, we're putting all that that douchebag did behind us.

"Okay Tom," James said. "We can do that." Thomas grinned, looking at James with loving eyes.

"Two days," Thomas said, staring up at the ceiling with a new hopefulness. "Just two."