Chapter One

Tarrisa POV

"Hey baby sis!" I jumped at Chad's voice. I'm standing in front of my bed, unpacking, with my back to the door. I turn around to face him.

"Hi Chad." I sigh.

"Did you get my gift?" He takes a step inside as I turn back around and start unpacking again. My eyes wander from the purple blouse I was folding to the tiny silver box with a white ribbon tied at the top. It had been lying in front of my pillows since I had gotten back to the school this morning. Just another reminder of my birthday. Just another reminder that I'm sixteen and still unclaimed.

"Yes," I sigh.

"So go ahead and open it!" He says excitedly. I give him a disapproving look as I reach across my suitcase and grab the box. As I begin to undo the bow; I think back to the past fifteen boxes I'd gotten like this, each with the same heart-wrenching motive.

"Chad, I'm really not in the mood for- oh..." I stare at the silver pendant inside the box. "Mom's necklace..." I say, stating the obvious.

"She got it for her sixteenth birthday, and wanted to give it to you on yours," he explains, but I already knew that.

"Yeah I know... I just didn't realize it survived the fire..." I close my eyes for a moment and am instantly engulfed in flames. I let the memory continue to long. I open my eyes and see my brother in front of me, shaking my shoulders.

"Tara?" He asks, probably for the tenth time.

"I'm fine." I remove his hands from my shoulders.

"Tarrisa, I still think you should go see-" his voice is full of concern, but I stubbornly cut him off.

"Do you know if Cami and Court are back yet?" My friends had spent the summer with their parents, both elders, in the French Quarter. I knew the two cousins wouldn't be back until at least tomorrow, but I still hoped I wouldn't have to spend this birthday alone.

"No, I don't think so." I sigh, I should've known.

"Chad..." my mind races and pain courses through my veins like it does any time I feel upset. Just then the seemingly never-ending rain of New Orleans begins again.

"Yeah baby sis?" Chad replies.

"Thanks... for the necklace..." I reach over and hug my brother- my only remaining family- tightly.

"You're gonna get claimed," he says, as if reading my mind, "maybe not today, maybe not next week, but you’re going to be claimed."

"No one’s ever been claimed after their sixteenth birthday." I reply.

"And no one’s ever not been claimed." He says, leaving the room. I form my reply, but he's already gone. I check the clock on my nightstand. 9:13 P.M. it reads. I sigh and throw myself on the bed, suddenly feeling exhausted. As I allow sleep to overpower me, the last thing I hear are the raindrops splattering angrily on the roof, crying the tears I didn't dare shed.

A Drop Of Rainजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें