Chapter Five

3rd Person POV

Clack, clack, clack. Tate took three steps forward. The sound from his leather black shoes echoed throughout the empty hallway of the school. The young hunter glanced around at the school he'd been in a million times, the school he'd practically grown up in. He thought about all the times he came for a "visit" with his father, and how much the Treaty reminded him of a divorce. The School got custody of the Spirit children, but the hunters still had visitation rights. But Tate wasn't here for a visit. He was here to kill one. In the thick, damp, underground air, he began to second guess himself. Could he really kill a living person? He'd always been against the "hunter lifestyle", regardless of the blood running through his veins. These things, these spirits, they were so naturic... His father said he couldn't return until he killed the water spirit, but what if he simply didn't return? There wasn't anything left for him if he went back anyway. His thoughts were interrupted by footsteps approaching from behind him.

"Oh..." It was her... The girl from his dream. Her hair was darker, and her eyes were green instead of blue, but it was her. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you..." She had tears streaming down her face and a quilted messenger bag thrown over her shoulder. He recognized the brand of the bag from the time his step-mom took him to Disney, practically every tourist, including his stepmother Amy, had one. Vera Bradshaw or something like that... Just from this tiny memory, Tate could feel the pain bubbling in his stomach. The spirit in front of him cleared her throat, bringing Tate out of his daze. He looked at her again and saw that the inner portion of her eyes faded into a bright yellow color. Tate cleared his throat to speak.

"I'm-"

"The hunter. Now, you can set me on fire or drain me of my blood or whatever but just give the first year girl back. The rest of the school doesn't have anything to do with this." Tate almost laughed, amazed and intrigued by the girls bravery.

"I hate to break it to you love, but I've not taken any first years. Also, I wasn't really planning on killing you." The girl blinked quickly several times before taking a step back from Tate.

"But... but I'm a violation of the Treaty..." her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Tate shrugged.

"Oh well." He wasn't sure why, but his emotions extended past simply not wanting to kill her. He wanted to help her.

"Tara! Tara!" The calls were echoed with frantic footsteps. The sound was coming from a couple hallways away.

Tara turned towards the noises. As they faded, she turned back to Tate.

"So what are you then? Some rebellious hunter with daddy issues?" Of course she knew who he was. His father was the head of The Institution. There was no way a cocky smile and false words would get her to trust him. But she needed to play her cards right, she needed to get Ava back.

"Guess you've already got me figured out sweetheart." Tara noted the slight accent in his voice. "Your friends don't know you're leaving," he said nodding to her bag. It was a statement, not a question. Much to Tate's surprise, Tara took a step towards him.

"No, they don't." She looked like she intended to be mean, but ended up looking like a teddy bear. He didn't flaten her ego however. Instead, he threw his hands up in defense.

"Believe it or not sweetheart, I'm here to help you."

"Help me?" Tara thought that his word choice was odd. He had said previously that he wasn't going to kill her, but that was just to throw her off guard, wasn't it? Tate simply smiled again and nodded.

"A cup of joe and I'll tell you my whole life story."