Chapter Six

Tarrisa's POV

"I was promised a life story," I remind the hunter impatiently. He was onhis third coffee and I was getting restless. Getting out of the school was simple enough, and we went to my favorite coffee shop in the French Quarter.

"I know, I know," he said smirking, "I'm just thinking about where to start."

"How about why you haven't killed me yet?" He sighed and leaned back in his chair, running his hands through his hair.

"I've explained this to you already. I want to help you." When I didn't reply he sighed again. "But you're not going to believe a word I say are you?"

"I'm sorry if I don't trust the shady son of the head of The Institute, who sketchily swears he won't kill me, even though you have the most motive to." I instantly regret the words. His face becomes solemn. His story obviously wasn't as black and white as I had believed it to be.

"Apperently you already know my life story so why are we even here?" I sigh and sit across from him.

"I'm sorry," I say a quickly. After a moment he shrugs, the smirk returning.

"It's okay. I mean you're taught from birth to hate hunters aren't you?" I nod, noticing how he said "hunters" as if he wasn't one.

"So, if you're really not going to hurt me, why take Ava?"

"Who?" He glances up at me, confusion all over his face.

"The first year..." I say it quietly.

"I didn't do anything to any first year..." The confusion on his face increases. I sigh.

"So what happened to her then?"

"My guess? The Institute wasn't the only group of hunters that found out about you. A group that doesn't see a difference between a water spirit and another spirit." I look down at my mocha frappe.

"And you're serious about wanting to help me?" I question.

"Serious as a heart attack," he replied, the smirk returning once again. I look him in the eyes.

"Than help me find Av-"

CRASH!

The glass front  of the shop shattered. After that, everything happened slowly. I look at the broken pieces of light flying towards me. The hunter, who's name I still didn't know, jumped between the sharp objects and I, pushing me on the floor. I could still small shards of glass slicing the back of my legs, but it wasn't until I saw the blood on the floor, my blood, that I realized a large piece had stabbed me in the back of the neck. I pass out before I can make any more observations.