Chapter Two

3rd person POV

Gabbie gasped as she entered the school. From the top it looked like an entrance to a cellar, but she was not in a cellar. She was in the grand hall of Grenwald Academy Of Spirits in the heart of New Orleans. She felt like a bottle of champagne about to bubble over with excitement. She'd been hearing stories of this place the entire eight years of her life, but never truly understood how amazing it was. The school was to be her home for the next ten years. She glanced around at her surroundings, seeing her sister Courtney's best friend Tara standing by the door to the dining hall. She shot a look back at the leader of the group, showing her and twenty or so other students around their new home, before running over to Tara.

"Tara! Tara! Tara!" She yelled. The older girl smiled when she saw Gabbie.

"Hey Gabbie." Tara's voice was distant, almost cold. Gabbie instantly understood.

"You didn't get claimed did you?" She frowned in confusion. Her parents had spent most of the summer talking about what they were going to do with the older girl if she didn't get claimed.

"No sweetie, I didn't." Tara smiles weakly, as if trying to be brave for her best friend’s sister, as if trying to be brave for the world.

"So... are you staying?" Gabbie thought back to the conversation her parents had on the first night of summer, about making Tara leave the school.

"Yes," her smile widened, "but you should get back to your group." Gabbie nodded and gave the older girl a hug before running back to the group a receiving a disapproving look from the leader of the group.

"As I was saying, before Ms. Nicolette kindly decided to rejoin us, here at the academy we have very strict rules set specifically for your safety-" the teacher droned on, but Gabbie was too excited to pay attention. She felt a poke on her shoulder and turned around to see who the offender was. She was met with a girl a little taller than her, with blonde hair and grey eyes. She sighed, an air spirit. But being the earth spirit she was she forced a smile.

"Hi," The other girl said excitedly, "I'm Avalynn. But most people call me Ava. You're-" she read Gabbies name tag, "Gabrielle." Gabbie scowled. She hated when people called her by her full name.

"Gabbie. Are you a first year too?" Ava nodded excitedly. She caved and smiles excitedly with Ava.

"Green eyes... really nice... you must be an earth spirit," Ava commented.

"Yep," Ava and Gabbie began following the group into another door.

"This is the sleeping quarters for the girls," she overheard the leader say, "Everyone stand up against the wall. When I call your name, step forward and you will be placed with your roommate." Every girl in the group obeyed and Gabbie waited patiently until the leader called her name.

"Gabrielle Nicolette," the name rang through the now almost empty hallway, "you are paired with Avalynn Scotts in room ten." Gabbie and Ava excitedly walked into their new room, door closing behind them.

"You didn't tell me you’re a Nicolette!" Ava said as soon as they were in the small room. Gabbie knew the significance of her last name and answered appropriately.

"I want to be judged for my personality, not my bloodline." Ava's response was a smile. They began unpacking silently. Because now that the exited bubbles of the champagne had faded, what was left was liquid fear. They were spirits now, which meant so many things.