The Flashback

I hear Four calling my name, so I leave my friends to watch from a distance and walk over towards him.

"You look different," he says, slurring his words together.

"So do you," I respond.

He does. He doesn't look like the stern and powerful Four I know. He looks more like a teenager should, relaxed and younger.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Flirting with death," he says as he winks and laughs, "drinking near the chasm. Probably not a good idea."

"No it isn't." The way he is talking scares me and leaves me feeling uneasy.

"Didn't know you had a tattoo," he says, placing his fingers on my collarbone. My heart skips a beat.

"Right. The crows," he says. He glances over at his friends. He adds, "I'd ask you to hang out with us, but you're not supposed to see me this way."

I am tempted to stay and see what Four's like when he's like this. But part of me is scared of who he is when he's drunk. I play dumb and pretend I don't know what he's talking about. I could obviously tell he was drunk but the heavy smell of whiskey exerting itself from his mouth.

"What way?" I ask. "Drunk?"

"Yeah...well, no." His voice is quiet and soft. "Real, I guess."

"I'll pretend I didn't."

"Nice of you." He puts his lips next to my ear and whispers, "You look good, Tris."

His words shock me, but feel good.

"Maybe I'll stay for a drink if I'm welcome to?"

"Of course." He winks at me.

I can't help it. I smile. Will clears his throat, and I tell him I'll meet up with them. Spoiler: I never do.

I don't remember much of what happened that night. I had never felt so free and so alive.

I don't remember getting drunk but I do remember us going back to his apartment.

We made out in front of the door to his apartment, as he tried to fiddle the doorknob open.

"Hang on," he said, mid kiss. We pulled apart, just for a second, while he opened up the door. We then proceeded to continue making out.

We fell onto his bed, and he looked at me and said, "you look better than I could ever imagine."

Details are hard to say now, but I remember him getting on top of me and continuing to kiss me. He then asked, "are you too drunk? Am I taking advantage of you?"

"No, not at all," I responded. I was probably too drunk, but I didn't care. I wanted him. I needed him.

He proceeded to...

"Tris!" I hear. Christina is back with the test.