Test Time

I get out of bed and walk slowly towards the bathroom with Christina by my side. As I'm leaving the room, I jam my toe on the door extremely hard. It takes everything in me not to scream.

"Gosh dammit!!" I say, probably a little too loud.

"Shh! You'll wake everybody up!" Says Christina.

"What's going on here?" Eric pulls us into the hallway.

"Nothing," I say fast.

"Well it's something. Nobody in training is up early."

Christina has the bag with the pregnancy test behind her back and is clutching it tightly.

"What's behind your back?" He questions us. 

"Oh, just you know, tampons." Christina says.

Classic Christina. I bite my cheeks trying not to laugh at Christina's lies that somehow always get men to leave us alone.

"Keep quiet. See you guys later," he says and starts to walk away.

"Remember menstrual cycles are no excuse for being late or slacking off today," he says before turning around again and this time actually leaving.

Christina and I walk into the bathroom barely being able to control laughter.

"Menstrual cycles? What is he 60?" Christina exclaims in between fits of laughter.

"And he meant what he said. He was so serious!"

Christina takes the test out of the bag and hands me the box.

"I'll keep watch," she says, "I'll see you in two minutes."

And with that, she closes the door leaving just me and the pregnancy test.

I unbox it and take a deep breath. I squat down and pee on the stick.

Two minutes seem like a life time, and then they end suddenly with Christina opening the door.

"Christina, I can't look."

She takes the test out of my hand and says, "you're not-"