II*

Three Months Later

"Merry Christmas, Gio." I whispered into Giovanni's ear

I just went to go pee when I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. It was four in the morning; Christmas morning. Last year's Christmas was spent at Giovanni's parents' home and this year would be no different. I had began Christmas shopping in October to avoid heavy crowds and it also allowed ample time for shipping and wrapping of gifts.

Giovanni turned over and wrapped his arms around me.

"Merry Christmas." He mumbled

He went back to sleep with no problem and I cuddled up next to him so I could do the same.

--------------------------------
I mixed the last of the ingredients of the potato salad and grabbed a piece of foil to place on top of the bowl. I placed the bowl into the fridge until I was ready to take it with me. I checked on the sweet potato pie and added a few more minutes to the timer.

"Gio, can you keep an eye on the pie in the oven for me?"

"I have to load the gifts into the car and watch the oven?" He complained

"Just get one of your goons to do it. Now watch the oven while I go get dressed." I ordered

I didn't wait for him to respond when I made my way to the bedroom. I put on a pair of black jeans with a red sweater. The weather left a blanket of snow and it continued to drizzle. I went into the restroom and put on my makeup. By the time I had my jewelry on, Giovanni came in to tell me the pie was finished.

"Did you take it out?" I asked him

"Of course. Why would I let it sit in the hot oven?"

"A yes or no would have sufficed." I laughed

He chuckled before exiting the room. I put my black knee high boots on and grabbed a sweater and jacket. Once I had my purse, I was ready to go. I instructed Giovanni to grab the pie and I grabbed the potato salad as we headed to his parents' home.

We arrived after a two hour drive and Carla greeted us enthusiastically. After kissing both of our cheeks, she took the food we brought and went to put it into the kitchen.

"Auntie Drew!" Angelo ran into me

I was unprepared for his greeting and stumbled from the impact to my legs. I picked up the three year old and tickled his sides.

"How's my favorite nephew?"

He giggled in response.

"What about me?" Giovanni asked his nephew with fake hurt in his eyes

"I wuv you too, uncle Gio."

Gio kissed the little boy's cheek as I put him down. Giorgio came out of the den and hugged his brother.

"Merry Christmas, Drew." Giorgio said to me

"Merry Christmas." I said hugging him

Giovanni asked for his brother's assistance in bringing in the gifts and both brothers headed outside. The perimeter of the Amantè home was guarded by Giovanni and Giorgio's men. It made me wonder if the men had families of their own to spend the holidays with.