XXI

"Drew?...Drew? I'm coming to your house. Pack a bag." Giorgio instructed

I couldn't breathe. Giovanni...arrested? I mean it's not like I didn't see this coming, but of all times, why now? I'm five months pregnant and we were finally happy.

I finally snapped out of my daze and found a small duffel bag. I quickly threw clothes into the bag, not caring if they matched or not. I threw on some clothes and made my way downstairs to wait for Giorgio. By the time I reached the bottom of the steps, there was a knock at the door.

I expected to find Giorgio behind it, but instead there were a group of FBI agents. They had guns drawn, but they weren't pointed at me. There was a tall, dark-haired man who was the only one that didn't have a weapon out.

"Drew Amanté?"

"Yes."

"We have a warrant for your arrest."

"What?"

"If you would just come with us." he held his hand out

I stared at it in astonishment.

"We know of your condition and we want to be gentle."

I reluctantly grabbed his hand and he led me to one of the black SUVs that were parked out front. He read me miranda before placing me in the middle of the backseat and the agent escorting me sat on my right side, another agent sat on my left. Once two more agents entered the vehicle, we began driving.

After driving for an hour and a half, we stopped in front of a building. The agents led me inside and into an interrogation room.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Water please." I said quietly

They left me in the room by myself. There were only two chairs and a metal table, but the room was bright. I took a seat and placed my hand on my stomach until someone entered the room.

The man who approached me at my front door walked in with a glass of water and a pen and notepad. He placed the glass on the table before pulling out the opposite chair to sit in. I took the glass and sipped the water slowly.

"My name is Agent Reyes."

"Where is Giovanni?" I asked

"In custody."

"Here?"

"No." He uncapped his pen and began writing, "You married Giovanni three months ago, correct?"

"I want my lawyer."

He stared at me with an unreadable expression. He replaced the cap back onto the pen and threw it onto the table.

"What are you? Five months pregnant? Do you want to give birth in a federal prison?"

"I thought the law prohibits further questioning once I ask for an attorney."

"If that's what you want."

He rose from his seat, grabbed his pen and notepad and left the room. Two agents replaced him and came over and grabbed me by my arms. They led me down a hallway with multiple metal doors. They stopped me from going further and turned me in front of a door. One of them opened it up and the other led me inside.

There was a twin size bed, a toilet, a sink, and a mirror. It was a small room, but it was manageable. I walked over to the bed and sat down slowly. They closed the door, causing it to slam.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I felt the babies move drastically so I placed my hand on my stomach to calm them.

I didn't sleep at all that night. The twins kept moving, but not enough to hurt me. I stayed up thinking about where Giovanni was and if he had a plan. This was the reason we got married in the first place, right?