XXIII

28 weeks

I waited patiently as my name was cleared through the computer system. Once the guard confirmed my identity, I was given a visitor sticker. I walked through the metal detector with ease and was given an outer body pat down. Once the female guard reached my stomach area, she informed me that she would apply light pressure to my stomach to ensure my baby bump was real.

"You're seven months today, right?" she asked

"Yes." I smiled

"Any news from the doctor?"

"They're healthy and just about ready to turn." I informed her

This wasn't my first time at the federal prison. I visit at least twice a week and most of the guards know who I am, who I was here for, and in turn, I knew the basic security procedure.

"He talks about you all the time." she told me, "He's excited to say the least."

I smiled, "Yeah, for him to be so far away, he manages to be very involved."

She gave me a sad smile before stepping to the side to allow me to continue my path. I grabbed my purse from the metal detector and went to the glass window.

"Mrs. Amanté." the guard greeted with a smile

"Hi, John."

"What do we have today?"

"I have my purse, my cellphone, wallet, lip gloss."

"Ah, the essentials." he joked

"You already know."

He wrote down everything that I had in my purse and took it behind the window. He gave me a nod signaling my permission to continue to the metal door.

"It'll be here for you when you get back."

"Thank you." I sang

I waited in front of the metal door to be buzzed in. Once I heard the buzz, the door opened to reveal another guard. He gave me a familiar smile before nodding. I smiled back as I made my way through.

There was a female guard sitting at a desk that I had seen before and she stood once she saw me. She asked me about my day as she led me down through the familiar corridor.

"As you know, I have to inform you that no contraband is allowed to be taken in or out. Physical touching is allowed, but nothing inappropriate-"

"And failure to abide by these rules will result in my visit being cut short and further sanctions may be imposed." I finished for her

She smiled before unlocking the door and allowing me to walk in. Giovanni was already sitting unchained at the table in the middle of the room. There was one guard standing at the other side where another door was. I waved to the guard who nodded back in acknowledgement.

I sat down at the table with a smile as Giovanni held his hands together. It was time for him to shave again, but the shadow made him look even more handsome. His hair was long, but he managed to keep it clean.