II. First Day

I don't own Star Wars, Disney, or any partnerships associated with them.
========================================
You are up early that morning so you can have breakfast and ready yourself before you run into issues with time. You're prepared a good ten minutes before eight o'clock, so you spend that time looking for Krennic's office. Not that you actually needed to look for it. You've been on this ship for fours years and you know every little secret passageway there is. You just don't want to be rushed trying to get there. Best to not start the first day running around and sweating through your uniform. That would certainly leave a good impression on the Director.

When you get there, he's already inside, skimming through some datafiles and cursing under his breath. He looks up at you and frowns, an curt scoff rumbling from his throat. "You're late!" He snaps.

You glance at your watch. "It's 0800!" You argue. He points to the clock in the corner of his office. 0801:04. "That's four seconds off 0800!" You snap back. What a way to kick off the morning...

"I don't need your backtalk!" He said, slamming his hands onto his desk. "Get out of my office. This apprenticeship offer is over."

He didn't even give you a chance! Angrily, and somewhat desperately, you say "Come on, Director! Give me another shot! I'll make it up to you! I'll show you what I'm worth!"

"I don't believe in second chances," he retorts.

Of all the things Director Krennic was, he sure wasn't malleable. "Yeah? Well I do." He opens his mouth to fight back but you're too fast. "Besides, Grand Moff Tarkin is the one that gave you an apprentice and you should at least try it before you give up. We don't want him to put another mark against you now, do we?"

He shuts his mouth and huffs. "Fine. I'll give you one day to prove that you are worth my time." Yes! You have won the argument. Director Krennic sits down and motions for you to come forwards. You notice that he looks tired, even though it's still early in the morning. Perhaps he didn't get much sleep last night.

He holds out a datapad and pen. "These equations were created by Galen Erso." You take the two objects from him, your fingers lightly brushing against his gloved ones as you collect the pen. Krennic goes on. "Only the best of the best mathematicians have been able to solve them. If you are one of the best here, you should be able to sol-"

"Done with the first one," you cut in. You had worked on the first problem before and you remembered exactly how to solve it.

Director Krennic just stares at you, unable to say anything. While he's gawking, you continue working through the problems. There are five of them. The first two are ones you studied back in college, both of which you have memorized how to do. The third one is creating and finding an inverse matrix and it takes you some time to solve it. By now, Krennic has recovered from his shock. "Well... continue then. And have a seat if you wish," he said, gesturing to the seat on your side of his desk.

You nod and sit down, you eyes never leaving the datapad for more than a second. Krennic goes back to his datafiles, which turns out to be nothing but paperwork for him. At least, that's what you think it is based off the quick glance you took.

The room is completely silent. You work on the matrix, and are halfway through solving it when you realize he's watching you instead of his hand, which is automatically signing his name. Your stomach feels a little queasy and small sweat droplets appear on your brow. Did he know how to solve the problems? Were you doing it all wrong? You finished the inverse matrix problem and went on to the next problem. This one was a graph of some sort. The information to create the graph was all in twisted equation form and you're not sure exactly where to start.

You realize you have been hesitating to start the next problem far too long and you worry that he will kick you out soon if you don't do something. So you start scribbling some possible answers. You glance up a little and see he's stop his own work for good just to watch you. Now you're really nervous. Your hand shakes as you write jibberish across the workspace (which you are close to running out of).

You write until you realize that you aren't making any progress. With a sigh, you skip the problem and look at the next. It's based off the results of the fourth. You want to yell at Galen Erso, wherever he is, for blowing your chance of getting this problem right or at least knowing what to do so you could become Director Krennic's apprentice. This isn't fair!

"(L/name)," you hear. You look up and your eyes meet Krennic's stone blue ones. Only, they're not stone. They've softened to a more human gaze in the moment that you're allowed to look at them. He then points down to your hand. You look down and see that your hand is shaking terribly. With your other hand, you try to stop the shaking.

"I'm sorry, sir," you say quietly. "I'll get going now. I won't waste any more of your time." You put the pen down and start to stand up. This whole oppertunity... gone... what a waste of excited energy.

"Now where do you think you're going?" He said sternly, reaching across and seizing your wrist. He pulls you back down into the chair. He swipes his finger on the datapad to show you your work. "You solved both problems in your frustration."

You look around but you can't figure out how you solved it. Your work has overlapped each other and it makes it impossible to read. There are only two numbers circled and isolated from the tangled mess. Krennic points to the two numbers. "It doesn't matter how you solved it. What matters is how time efficient you are at these equations. Those are the right answers."

For a moment, you want to cry out in joy. But you hold your composure and say "Wow... I guess I never realized I got the answers until you pointed them out." You had no recollection of writing those two numbers but then again you didn't remember writing most of the jumbled numbers down.

Krennic takes away the datapad and shuts it off. "I believe you have proved your skills to me. You might be worth something more than I thought you would."

Thanks, Krennic. Thanks for finally realizing that. That's what your sarcastic side is saying. It's too bad you couldn't say that out loud. "Of course, sir."

Krennic stands up. "Come on, (L/Name). I have some projects I need to check on and you are coming with me." No complaints in that. It seems as though you have won his trust. You stand up to bring yourself closer to his height. He gives a small scoff but you can almost see a smirk on his lips. "Welcome to the high ranks, (Full name)." This apprenticeship might be interesting and completely worth it...
========================================
Hehe I'm excited to get this story underway.

Please review and vote!