C H A P T E R | 9

_____________________________________________
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

What?" Sean and I said at the same time. Confused, I eyed Phoenix, hesitant and unsure by what I had just heard. It was an outlandish statement to hear him of all people say. Especially since it appeared like a nice gesture, but based on earlier tension and yesterday's little situation, it was all too suspicious. Why would he be decent to me, when he had no reason to?

Phoenix's blue eyes focused on mine with a firm look, before he shrugged a shoulder. "I'm giving you a lift home. Need me to write it out or repeat it slower?" I frowned at the sarcasm lacing his tone.

I wanted to blurt out, "Why?" With a glare accompanying it. To question his motive behind offering me a drive home, but that wouldn't be clever on my part. Especially since I wanted to escape the disastrous man known as Sean. Instead, I nodded my head and ignored the curious gaze of Ethan, who seemed somewhat tolerable compared to Phoenix's other friends. I could only imagine the thoughts running through Sean's head, but it serves him right.

We all remained standing around in a suffocating silence, eyes jumping from person to person. Until, "Come on, let's go." Was bitterly muttered, Phoenix sending me a warning look. Nerved, I really had no choice, it was this, make a scene by questioning him or be stuck with Sean's pestering way. So after Phoenix nodded and exchanged a bro-shake with Ethan, I followed him to his car, keeping a far distance between us like any moment I would rush to flee away. He stopped by his car, a black Mercedes-Benz hatchback. I again, hesitated, feet planted against the concrete as I glanced over my shoulder.

Yikes, Sean was watching with a confused, bothered expression. For someone who prides herself on being responsible, I was sure irresponsible to ever see something In him. Seeing him encouraged me to snap my focus back to the front of me. Phoenix was staring at me in frustration, waiting on the other side of the car with his door opened, eyes narrowed while I hurriedly approached the passenger door and opened it. When I had settled inside the car, securing my seatbelt, he lowered himself into the car and shut his door. We both sat in silence, the engine brought to life and the radio turned on, at a lower volume.

Whatever reason he done what he did, this — offering me a ride to help me out of my dilemma with Sean, was, no matter our relationship, a respectable gesture. It wasn't wise to jump in his car and accept the lift, I still barely knew Phoenix and as they say, you don't know what's behind closed curtains, but I really didn't have many options and something about him didn't alarm me or make me weary. Maybe intimidated from yesterday's sudden behaviour, but certainly not uncomfortable or creeped out. Plus, it was an easy way out to avoid Sean. "Thanks for the-"

"Don't. Okay? Just shut up," He snapped, cutting me off. My jaw slackened. I understood he was mad towards me, for insulting him and probably more because I embarrassed him in front of his idiotic friends, but this attitude of his was not okay. He offered me a lift out of his own will, but I will not sit here and endure him using this as an opportunity to belittle me further.

His hostility had me missing the annoying, egotistical side to him. "You know, you're so arrogant." I exclaimed, crossing my arms.

He scoffed, focused on the road. "Says you, after the way you spoke to me? which by the way, I haven't forgotten."

What, I'm not worthy enough to speak to him with an attitude, but he can make fun of me? This guy has some nerve. "Ohh what a shMe, you got told to fuck off. Does that honestly offend you? You're always mean to me but that offends you?" I was growing angrier and angrier.