C H A P T E R | 11

_____________________________________________
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

There was a thick layer of silence resting between us, music playing in the background to try and ease the cramped awkwardness that nestled its way into the car. I didn't dare initiate conversation, stuck between hesitation and annoyance, more so at myself. I can't believe his text slipped my mind, but that wasn't my main concern. It was the fact that Phoenix of all people, my foe, was on his is way over to my house.

"Okay, I'm going to need you to tell me which way I'm going because I don't remember," He spoke, catching my instant attention with his bored tone of voice. I fought saying a remark. "Just keep going straight," I murmured. That was how the rest of our car ride remained, me directing him and him following the route.

When we made it to my house, I ignored the nerves as he put his car into gear, parking on the curb near our white letterbox. There was no reason to be nervous. The door slammed shut, his car beeping to indicate he locked it as I travelled with him trudging behind me, towards my front porch. I shoved the key into the keyhole, twisting the gold knob belonging to the dark oak door before pausing and glancing at him over my shoulder. His shoulders shrugged as he shoved his hands into the pocket of his jeans. Catching me staring, he raised a brow, studying my pointed gesture until realisation dawned. He rolled his eyes, shuffling his feet against the black welcome mat, and shot me a sarcastic smile. "Happy now, nerd? And apparently a clean freak too."

I narrowed my eyes at him. I was no clean freak. My parents on the other hand, were overly strict and terribly unbearable. "I'd be happier if you weren't here." I spoke on a whim, unable to control the comment that left my lips. Since when was I so impulsive?

"Aw," He drawled, jutting out his bottom lip. "Chux, I appreciate you too babe," He suddenly barged past me, shoving me out of the way with a rough brush of his shoulder. I gasped, feeling my body nearly fall into the wall as he literally entered my house like it was his own. I glared at his back, begrudgingly adjusting my posture and stepping foot into the front entry of my home. Dark grey walls, an artistic landscape portrait on the wall to the left of us and a bending black staircase.

I shut the door behind me and turned around, in time to see him with his hands on his hips. Phoenix was staring up at the artwork, inspecting it with a head tilt. He suddenly leant his tilted head side-ways, dropping his gaze on me. "That artwork looks better than you."

I narrowed my eyes. "Everything looks better than you." I was carrying on immaturity and that response was enough proof.

"Many girls would disagree," He had the sickening audacity to then wink at me.

"You know what, I'm really not in the mood so either you're here to study, or you leave."

"Quite the hospitality," He grinned, taking a step back and glancing around the space. His eyes shifted towards the lounge room before darting around and inspecting the space. "So this is your house, huh?" He glanced over his shoulder at me, before walking down the hall. I could only watch in bewilderment. That boy was confident enough to stroll into someone's home and offer himself a personal tour.

"Yeah," I sighed, following him as he opened a door down the hall and peeked into it. White tiles, basin sink and a toilet, it was an ordinary bathroom for all to use. He didn't bother closing the door, continuing his little tour of my house hosted by him, for him, while I begrudgingly followed behind. His eyes lit up in joy the minute we entered the kitchen.