C H A P T E R | 10

_____________________________________________
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

He was staring at me. I could feel Sean's eyes on the back of my head but I ignored it. It was bad enough he was blowing my phone up with constant notifications, but to have to endure him and his stares? I'd rather deal with his text messages of pure desperation than be anywhere near him. Chin rested on my palm, I blankly stared at the whiteboard, completely out of focus and unable to force myself into concentrating on my academics.

The classroom door swung open, my eyes sliding towards the attractive boy shutting it behind him. Phoenix, who wore a bored expression, waltzed in, entering the room at a time suiting him. It was two days (four if including Saturday and Sunday) since the car encounter and things had fortunately eased, but with a price. A price I was more than happy with, since it meant that in these two days of encountering one another, the two of us had barely spoke let alone interacted. He was content on his phone while I was happy to do my work. 

"Phoenix, this is your final warning," Miss Richards warned, glaring from where she sat, a world war history poster stuck to the wall behind her head. With hair pinned back, she looked more than stern today but she didn't seem to be in a too strict of a mood, which was fortunate for the students who didn't accomplish their homework, were currently talking or entering the classroom late as per usual.

"Alright," He shrugged, holding the strap of his bag over one shoulder.

"I. Mean. It." She gritted.

"Alright," He repeated, approaching our desk and slumping down into the chair, the bag lazily dropped on the ground beside him. She released a deep sigh, furious stare penetrating Phoenix who got comfortable in his seat. Furious enough you could image steam forming out her ears. He leant back and smiled, raising a brow. "What?" He pushed, questioning her. With a drained expression, she shook her head and stood up. It was clear she wanted nothing more but to put him in his place, but instead, she controlled her frustration and addressed the rest of the class.

"Class, the task I mentioned earlier, I wish to discuss it now," Few groans sounded across the room. I straightened up in my seat, attentively listening. This was added bonus points to my grade if I did well. "Especially since we're all present now-" She shot Phoenix a pointed look. He only curled his lips into a smug smile. "It will be a two partner project." There goes my grade. I huffed, shoulders dropping in disappointment. It was a clear given that I wasn't the most socially experienced or pleasant person. Especially when it came to shared work. Majority of the time, I'd expect to be left with all the work but instead, it was the complete opposite. Every time, it was always the other people I was usually partnered with who surprisingly took over the lead, and it never benefitted our grade, but I was too quiet to ever take control or say something. "This is an important task. You have two weeks to complete it, and remember, two people only. Not three or four. Two."

"Do we get to choose our partners?" Some girl asked from the back of the room. Our teacher hesitated, eyebrows furrowing and thin lips pursed. Her silent response was a sign students took approving we could, and conversations surfaced about who was partnering with who. If only Ivary was in this class, but it seemed luck was never on my side.

I noticed Phoenix move in his seat from the corner of my eye. Probably to try and partner with his friends. Surprisingly, he didn't look over his shoulder but instead glanced to his right with a head tilt, grinning at Elizabeth Maross. She who sat in the middle of the room, at the desk beside ours, sweetly smiled back at him. Her blue eyes sparkled, meeting Phoenix's stare as he nodded his head, gesturing between her and him to partner. She sheepishly nodded, smiling a dimple smile while I glanced away. I felt odd and I couldn't explain why.