Stressed Out • 2

Gwen returned to school the next day with the same look of death on her face. It was the same routine everyday. Library, math, English, science, lunch, technology, gym, history. It was like her body movements were automatic.

She was sitting in her usual place in the library,  avoiding the world and the stress it brought. She was daydreaming, something she did a lot. She remembered when she was young, free in her treehouse with Todd.

She roamed freely throughout the yard and streets. She would sing to the birds and act freely. The dangers of the world were unknown. She was innocent.

"Hello?" a country accent snapped her out of her daydream. Before her stood the tall new kid.

"Hi," Gwen said quietly. She was uncomfortable. She wasn't used to people talking to her.

"You're Gwen, right?" the teenager asked. The girl just simply nodded. "We're partners for the geometry project."

Gwen just stared at him. Why is he talking to me? She thought. The sounds around them were drowned out. It was like she could only hear his country accent, and she liked it.

The bell suddenly rang, but this time it didn't phrase her.

"Wanna walk to class?" he stuck his hand out for her.

"Yeah, sure." she said meekly. She took his hand and rose to her feet. Side by side, they walked to class.

Blurryface hasn't bothered me yet, Gwen thought. I like this.

"So," Gwen said on their way to math class. "Are you liking Anaheim High?" she spoke so freely, it scared her.

"It's alright." Blake said. "It's a lot bigger than my old school."

"Oh," Gwen said. "Where did you go before?"

"Ada Academy." Blake said. "I just moved here from Oklahoma."

"Oh," Gwen simply said again. That explains his accent.

They reached their classroom. "I'll catch you later?" Blake said.

"Sure." Gwen said as they separated to go to their seats.

I had a conversation. I had a conversation with someone! And I wasn't as awkward as usual! Gwen said excitedly in her mind.

She was smiling, she realized. And it wasn't a fake smile, it was a real one. She never smiled for real anymore.

She could feel her heartbeat. She looked at the new boy to find his blue eyes staring back at her. She blushed, turning back around. Her heart was beating rapidly. All of the sudden, this emotion flooded her.

Remember what his friends said about you, Blurryface came out of no where, killing everything. Her smile, her heartbeat, her emotions.

Everything stopped, just like that. The world was gray again and Gwen was back to her automatic motions.

I told you, they're just stupid boys, Gwen tried to tell her voice.

Who think you're weird, Blurryface said simply.

You're right. They-they think I'm weird. Does everyone think I'm weird? Does Blake think I'm weird? Why am I weird? Is it because I dress in black and don't speak to anyone? Maybe it's because I cry, yeah that's it. Big girls aren't supposed to cry.

Her thoughts ranted on until she heard the bell again. She had been thinking throughout the whole class. She looked around, seeing the teenagers scatter out of the classroom. She quickly jotted down the homework that was on the board and stood up.