Ride • 3

The weekend came faster than Gwen expected. The past week had thrown her off in many ways.

She was no longer completely alone. Blake would talk to her every morning, and in math class when they had the chance. He'd even have the nerve to walk down the hallways with her, the weirdo, by his side.

There was something about him. Gwen didn't know if it was because the way he spoke or the way he looked or the way his eyes illuminated when he looked at her, but she liked it.

She had been blushing more. The pale face she had would be rose whenever he spoke to her.

Blake did most of the talking. But, whenever Gwen did talk, she talked to freely it scared herself. Blurryface was never there to interrupt her, which she was surprised about. She would get their screams when they say Blake approaching them, but once she was serenaded with that Oklahoma accent, nothing else mattered.

Her heart, she could swear it was talking. Gwen listened to the rhythm of it whenever she talked to Blake. It was the only time she felt like she even had a heart.

Of course, things were platonic between the two. But there was this connection, like a country soul looking for it's ska partner. It was unspoken of, and unexplainable, but Gwen tried to not think about it. Blurryface was quiet now, but she was still fearful about what was to come.

The two teenagers were currently in Gwen's room, working on their geometry project.

"So, we've found thirty shapes so far, and we need twenty more before Friday." Blake said.

"We could try Disney land. That place probably has a ton of shapes we could use." Gwen suggested.

"Great idea! Accept I have no money." Blake said.

Gwen sighed. "Same."

The two sat in silence. Blake was pondering on where he could find shapes. The assignment was to find fifty different shapes and take a picture with them. Since he was new to California, he didn't know where to look.

Gwen, on the other hand, was thinking about life and death. Gwen thought a lot, it was something Blake noticed about her. Sometimes she would look happy, like she was dreaming or imagining something great. Other times, she went motionless. Her face looked dead. Her brown eyes stopped glowing, and would sometimes even start crying or just stop functioning. It was like someone was using a switch in her brain. She could be happy one moment, and then be sad the next.

"I have an idea." Gwen jumped. It startled Blake. She usually never is exciting after being in thought for a long time.

"What is it?" Blake asked.

"Come with me." Gwen grabbed his hand and hurried out of the room. Blake didn't ignore the zap of feeling when she touched him. It was like her touch brought him alive.

"Where are we going?" Blake asked as they ran out of the house.

Gwen went to her garage and pulled out two bicycles. One was teal blue and smaller, probably for Gwen, and the other was black and bigger, probably for Blake.

"We're going for a ride." Gwen said as she hopped on her bike. "That's Todd's bike, but he never uses it, so you can."

"Ride? Gwen, we need to do our project." Blake said, but reluctantly got on Todd's bike.

"Look for shapes on the way there." Gwen said as she started peddling into the street.

Blake peddled after her. "Where exactly is there?"

Gwen zoomed off on her bike, feeling the air against the fun part. "Who knows?" and she peddled faster.

The California sunset made everything look like a tumblr girl's artsy photo blog. The streets were quiet, which was weird for California. All you could hear was the gears on their bikes maneuvering.

Blake was seeing lots of shapes. He mentally noted all of them down. He had never been down the rode they were on, he just blindly followed Gwen. He thought they were riding around for their assignment. Finding more shapes for their project.

Gwen, on the other hand, was peddling to get away from her thoughts. Blurryface screamed in her mind to stop talking to Blake, but day after day it was harder to ignore him. She could feel her heart, like it was coming back to life. Like it was taking control again.

The acceleration and wind made her feel free, careless. She cared too much, Blurryface made her. But right now, she didn't care anymore. A car could hit her or she could fall off her bike, but she didn't care.

The two reached a park. It was now almost completely dark. Gwen noticed Blake hadn't said anything the whole time, which she appreciated.

She suddenly put her bike brakes on, leaving the machine to screech to a stop on the side of the rode. The sound echoed when Blake did the exact thing.

"Come with me." Gwen hopped off her bike and started walking into the woods beside the park. She could sense Blake's hesitation, but he followed her, anyway.

She looked around at her surroundings. It was dark, the moon only illuminating the sky a little. The crickets chirped as the nocturnal animals awoke. She could hear the crunching of the leaves below her feet.

They reached an opening. Blake realized they were on a park trail, but had ignored the trail and just walked through the woods. Where they stood, there was three paths. You could choose to go left, right, or straight.

"I think too much." Gwen broke the silence. She glared at the pathway in front of her. "I think about the end. Maybe I even fantasize it."

Blake walked to stand next to her, looking at her with pure concern.

"Life and death, it's scary." Gwen began. "One moment we're here, the next we aren't. We could be at the park and then before we know it, in heaven or hell, or wherever the heck you go after death."

"It's hard sometimes. Living. Sometimes I think I should just quit. But, then what would happen? I love my parents, I live for them, but no one else cares. I'm invisible at school, and my brother hates me." Gwen stared at the ground. Blake could see the internal struggle in her eyes, her face, her body.

"But then you came along." Gwen said. "I don't what we are. Friends, enemies, or just partners for this stupid math assignment. But, you're making me feel something. You make my thoughts go away."

Gwen looked at him intently, her brown eyes indulged in his blue ones. "I know everyone at school thinks I'm weird. Hell, I'm sure you think I'm weird now if you didn't already. But, you make me want to take my time."

Gwen sat down on a bench along the path, Blake sitting next to her soon after. "Life is a ride. And I want to take my time, to see how long I have until I finally fall off my bike and end my ride."

"But I've been thinking too much." Gwen looked at him with fear in her eyes.

What the hell are you doing? Blurryface screamed in her head.

Her eyes widened, this weird feeling of freedom washing over her. "Oh my god," she started. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me, I-"

But she was cut off when Blake pulled her to him, hugging her. She froze.

Everyone is bad. Everyone is bad. Everyone is...

But the voice faded as Blake's scent filled her system, sending butterflies towards her stomach. She hugged him back, tightly. He didn't need to say words to make her feel better, his presence was enough, and that made Gwen feel good.

I've been thinking too much, Gwen hugged Blake tighter, tears escaping from her eyes. Help me.

|-/

I don't know what I'm writing at this point. Please comment your thoughts and vote, or I'll probably delete this.

But, I'd like to thank shefanistories
for supporting this story. You're the only reason I wrote this chapter.

stay alive.