Tear In My Heart • 5

Anything bolded and italicized (like this) is Gwen's heart talking.
••
Gwen looked at her wrist.

They were once full of blood and pain, but it was the only way Gwen knew that she was alive and had a soul.

It has been two months. Two whole months since she purposely hurt them. The scars were lighter than they were, some older ones even looked like they disappeared. As happy as she was, she was also confused.

How was she still feeling?

Blurryface had always told her it was the only way to feel alive. That it was the only thing to feel anything. But she wasn't doing it anymore, and she was feeling.

Her heart was louder than it was two months ago. Blurryface, though they had their moments, was slowly becoming weaker. They still had influence over Gwen, but her heart was becoming more powerful.

It was a Saturday, which Gwen was thankful for. She never understood why everyone loved Friday. There was still school on Friday. On Saturday, there was no school. You could do nothing the whole day if you wanted to. Sundays were okay, besides being forced to go to church.

Gwen remembered this old sushi bar around the corner. She loved sushi, and Japanese food in general. She liked Japan's culture. Her closet was full of harajuku fashion items, but she never wore them.

Usually she never did anything on Saturday nights, but something took over her. She wanted to be social, she wanted to have fun.

Call Blake, her heart said. And so, she did.

Before Blurryface could object, Gwen already had her phone up to her ear, waiting for Blake to pick up. She suddenly felt nervous. What if he doesn't pick up? What if he doesn't want to talk to me? What if-

"Hey, Sunshine," all the worry disappeared in an instance once she heard his sweet country accent. "What's up."

"Hey, Cowboy!" Gwen said, maybe a little bit too excitedly. "Nothing. But, I was wondering...there's this carnival at my church tonight, and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

"Pick me up in ten." Blake said, and she had never smiled brighter.
••
"Usually the boy drives the girl." Gwen said as Blake sat down in the passenger seat.

"I've been in California for like, a month, and I can barely remember how to get to the store around the street." Blake laughed.

"Whatever," Gwen rolled her eyes, but laughed with him.

His laugh, it made her heart beat faster. His smile, it also made her heart beat faster. Everything about him made her feel happier.

"What's got you in a good mood, Sunshine?" Blake asked.

"Oh," Gwen said, coming out of her train of thought. "I don't really know."

You're happy, her heart said.

"I guess I feel happy." Gwen added.

"Anyway, I got you flowers." Blake said. "I know it's kinda cheesy, but I saw sunflowers and I thought of you, 'cause you're my sun."

"Sunflowers are actually my favorite flower." Gwen smiled, taking the flowers from him. "And thank you, that's really sweet." she put the flowers in the backseat, hoping they'd be fine until she got home.

"Shall we be going?" Blake said.

"Yep!" Gwen said. "Off to the carnival we go." and with that, she stepped on the gas, zooming away on the pot-holed road.
••
"I'm gonna puke." Blake said. They had just been on a mini rollercoaster, and Blake failed to mention that he hates rollercoasters.