Lane Boy • 6

"Hey, Gwen." Blake came out of nowhere, kissing her cheek.

"Oh, hey," Gwen blushed.

Gwen was used to her schedule. She'd hang out in the library, wait for Blake, then they would platonically walk to their first class together.

But currently, she was not in the library. She was in the school's courtyard, and had only gotten off the bus seconds before.

Blake intertwined their hands together, her small ones indulged by his big ones. She could feel people staring at them.

She gripped onto his hand. She wasn't used to being noticed. She had always been invisible, and usually, she was only recognized when people wanted to mess with her.

They walked their way into the high school, receiving more glances from the freshman roaming around the first floor. The second floor, the sophomore stared. Finally, the third floor, their floor, the rest of their junior class stared.

"I'm gonna head to the library..." Gwen trailed off. "I'll see you in a bit." she ran off, faster than the speed of light. She could feel the stares clawing at her back, and the whispers echoed through her ears.

"Were they holding hands?"

"What's gotten into him?"

"He's way too hot for her."

She ran to her quiet place, her safe place, in the library. She felt like she couldn't breathe. Her heart was racing but it was because of anxiety. Her wrist suddenly felt the need to be scratched, and her tears threatened to flow down her face.

See, Gwen, Blurryface said loudly, making Gwen jump. This is what happens when you don't listen to me.

Gwen begged for her heart to stop this, but it was too scared.

Everyone is bad. Everyone is bad. Everyone is bad.. Blurryface screamed. Gwen held her head, wishing for it to all go away.

"Stop!" She screamed, causing the librarian to look her way.

"Gwen, are you okay?" the librarian looked frightened.

But Blurryface didn't stop screaming. "Stop, please!" Gwen cried. She ran to the bathroom and locked herself in there. She slid down to the floor, covered in tears. She couldn't see. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't feel.

But she could hear. She heard Blurryface, and that was enough to make her blackout.
••
"Really, bro?" Adam, one of Blake's friends asked. "Gweirdo?"

"What the hell is a 'gweirdo'?" Blake rolled his eyes.

"Gwen and weirdo put together. It's her nickname, because, you know, she's weird." Adam said.

"She's not weird." Blake said defensively. "She's just not as fake as all of you."

"Since when has having a panic attack every minute not been weird?" Adam sassed back.

"Maybe if y'all got to know her, you'd realize who she really is." Blake started walking away.

"Hey, buddy," Adam ran after him. "No offense, but it's just that...we're the hot kids. The cools ones. Not the dumb jocks, but the hot musicians that everyone would like to date."

"Gwen's a musician." Blake said. "And anyways, why do our roles matter?"

"Gwen may be a musician, but that's not her role at school. She plays the depressed role. The girl no one notices or cares about since she's too busy sulking in her own depression. Not saying people want her to be depressed, but that's just who she is. It's her lane."