3

(^the outfit not the way he's lounging^)

"Who wants to read what they have?" Mr. Urie asks the class after his promised 30 minutes is over. A few kids raise their hands and each of them stands up and tells a happy story.

"Great! Thanks, guys. Now, I'm collecting those, so don't forget to put your names on them." I scribble my name at the top and place it on his desk. He writes some instructions on the board and then sits down, flipping through all the pages he's collected.

The instructions say to read silently, so I pull out a book and start. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Mr. Urie watching me. Did his eyes sparkle at me, or was that just my imagination? I shake it off, I'm just being ridiculous. Mr. Urie would never—

"Ariella, could I see you after class please?" I nod, looking down at my book. Oh great. He must have read what I wrote. I hate when teachers worry about me.

The bell rings and I pack up my work but stay seated. "Ariella, I'm sorry about your mother." Mr. Urie frowns, taking a seat beside me.

"It feels like so long ago. It's why my dad and I moved here the summer after grade eight. Although, he's never home, so it's mostly just me." I shrug, turning towards him. He touches my shoulder lightly and smiles sadly.

"If you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate." I nod and he stands up, brushing his hands on his pants absently. "Now get out of here, your friend is waiting at the door for you. Have a good weekend, Ariella." He practically pushes me out the door and right into Taya.

"Hey, there's a party tonight and normally I wouldn't ask you, because I know that's not your scene, but I don't have anyone else to go with. Will you come?" She pleads.

"Wow, I'm the last resort. Gee, thanks!" I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes as we walk out of the school. "I'll come, but I'll probably leave early." Taya squeals and skips down the street happily.

"I'm so excited!" She exclaims, skipping up my front steps. I follow her, unlocking my door and waltzing into my empty house. "Let's go pick out an outfit!"

****

We pull up at the party house around 10:00 pm and you can hear the music from a block away. I already know that it's going to be pure hell, and I grimace at the unfamiliar neighbourhood. It's going to be difficult to find my way home from here . . .

Taya drags me into the party, and immediately I am handed a red solo cup that is filled with a mysterious liquid. I set it down on a table and look around at the teenagers making out and grinding all over each other. I feel so out of place, even in the white crop top and red, high-waisted skirt that Taya picked out for me.

Speaking of Taya, even though she dragged me in not even a minute ago, she's nowhere to be seen. I start searching the house, and after an hour decide that there's no use. I push past the people and find the door, breathing in the fresh night air. The only light comes from the streetlamps above me, casting eerie shadows upon the street. I shiver at the thought of what could be hiding in those shadows and briskly walk down the sidewalk to try and find a street sign.

As I'm walking, a black BMW pulls into a driveway ahead of me. I almost walk right past the house until a hear a familiar voice call my name. He gets out of the car and runs a hand through his perpetually dishevelled hair. "Ariella?" It's none other than Mr. Fucking Urie. "Ariella, what are you doing out on the street alone at this time of night?"

"I was at a party that my friend brought me to, but I lost her in the sea of people and I'm not a fan of big crowds. I was trying to figure out what street this is because I have no idea where I am or how to get home." I sigh, walking up his driveway towards him.

"Well, I can't let you stay out here alone, especially if you don't know where you are. Do you want a ride? I could drive you home if you want?" He offers, shoving his hands in his pockets. He's wearing jeans and a baggy sweater, a very different look from what he wears at school.

"Seriously? That would actually be amazing. Thank you, Mr. Urie!" I'm so relieved that I fall right into the passenger seat of his car.

"Buckle up," he chuckles as he gets settled. "Whereabouts do you live?" He asks, pulling out of his driveway.

"Down the street from the school. 157 Cedar Brooks drive." I fidget with my fingers and bite my cheek. It's kind of awkward being in the car with your teacher.

"Wow, that's about half an hour from here." He looks amazed that I came so far and didn't realize it. I did realize it, though, I just figured I'd be able to find my way back anyways.

"Huh, it really takes a genius to figure that one out, Mr. Urie, congratulations." As soon as I say it, I regret it. First of all, he's my teacher. I'm not supposed to be rude to him like that. Second, he's hot as hell and, well, that doesn't really need an explanation, does it?

"Jesus, Ariella," Mr. Urie sighs, glancing at me as he turns onto the main road. "Why are you one of three students in the class that still calls me Mr. Urie? I told you that you could call me Brendon, didn't I?"

"Using your first name is so . . . Colloquial. Wouldn't you find it weird if I were to call you Brandon?" I screw with his name on purpose and see his eyebrows furrow.

"Brendon," he corrects. "And no. I call you by your first name. What's the difference?" I raise my eyebrows at him in a 'Seriously?' face.

"It's not like you call me by my nickname, you call me Ariella. Hardly anyone calls me that except teachers." I shrug, watching him drive for a bit. After a long silence, he parks the car.

"Arie," he breathes, looking straight at me. I swallow hard. My name coming from his lips sends tingles down my spine.

"Brendon," I mimic his voice and almost lose myself in his chocolate brown eyes. Before I know what I'm doing, I reach for his hair and weave my fingers through it. He closes his eyes at my touch and leans into my hand like a cat. I take advantage of his eyes being closed and pull myself towards his lips.

We kiss softly, my lips moving slowly against his. Then I snap out of my trance and I pull back. What the hell did I just do?