19

"Wait, what?" Brendon gapes at me, turning his back on Darren. I don't know how Darren even found out about the abortion, let alone that he was the father. It wasn't supposed to happen this way . . . It wasn't supposed to happen at all. I rack my brain for clues, maybe I dropped a hint somewhere along the line . . . And then it hits me. I think back to a few minutes ago when I saw him talking to a girl that looked suspiciously like Sarah and everything starts to click. It was her! It was all her.

"Sarah!" I scream in frustration. Brendon looks at me like I've gone completely crazy, and Darren let's out a scoff.

"You mean that lady that just told me about your secret? She said you also stole her fiance at the altar; I guess you really haven't changed." Brendon makes to swing at him, but I catch his elbow as he does. It could get us into a lot of hot water if someone discovered that a fight broke out between a student and a teacher, even if Brendon doesn't teach at this particular school.

"Darren, Sarah stole Brendon from me," I begin, but Brendon raises an eyebrow and I change my mind. "Okay, fine, no one stole Brendon from anyone. He chose me over her, and she resented that. Now she's out to get the both of us."

"So, you were never pregnant?" He asks. I scuff my toe on the pavement and start to take interest in the flecks of black and grey. I don't want to answer that question.

"I was thirteen. I was barely old enough to conceive a child, let alone raise one." This is the moment when I choose to look up at him, his blue eyes are shining with tears. It breaks my heart because I'm the one who caused all this pain. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Dare. But you can't even begin to imagine what I was going through. And then my dad, he was so disappointed. He was the one who told me to do something. What else was I supposed to do?"

"You really should have told him before you left," a voice says from behind me. I already know it's Sarah, even before I turn around and see her. She's waving a phone in front of her face smugly. "Oh, and Bren, thanks for letting me borrow your phone." She laughs and tosses it to him. He catches it and scowls at her.

"How did you get this?" My thoughts about her being the culprit are confirmed when she laughs and walks closer, leaning on the hood of Brendon's car.

"You left it on your desk at lunchtime. I snuck into your classroom and took it. Then poor little Arie here texted you . . . The rest, as they say, is history."

"But . . .  how did you know that I had an abortion? Only three other people knew that information." I stare her straight in the face, and she gives me a pitying smile.

"Your little friend Taya thought she was being clever, but she accidentally told me everything I needed to know." I try rushing at her with my claws out, but both Brendon and Darren hold me back.

"Hey, that's the only secret you have, right? I kind of understand why you did it, and I'm only somewhat mad that you never told me. I mean, we were best friends, but you were struggling." Darren says, running a hand over my hair. I hear Brendon cough and quickly look up at him.

"B, don't worry, I love you." I kiss his cheek and turn back to Darren. "If you're not totally upset, I think we're done with this gimmick." Finally, I stick my eyes on Sarah, narrowing them until they're barely slits in my face. "As for you, I'm sorry that you feel the need to be a bitch just because you didn't get what you wanted. I do feel bad for ruining your wedding, but if I hadn't, Brendon still would have realized eventually that he married the wrong girl. I just saved you from an unhappy marriage, so you should be grateful."

"But—" Sarah starts to rebuttal, but Brendon quickly cuts her off.

"She's right, Sare. There are plenty of other guys who can do what I did for you." He turns around and grabs Darren by the arm, pulling him forward. "Like Darren here, I'm sure he's a great guy."

"Uh, yeah, I guess. I mean, I need to get over Ariella . . . you need to get over Brendon . . . We can always try something and see." Darren stutters out. His reaction is laughable, but I keep a straight face because this is a serious situation.

"Alright, fine. Let's go out to dinner, then, and get to know each other. If this doesn't work out, though, you better be prepared for an angry phone call, Brendon." Sarah sighs, pushing off the hood of the car and slinking towards us. Brendon and I get in the car as Sarah and Darren walk away together. Hopefully, this works out.

*****

It's been hours and neither Brendon nor I have received a call from Sarah or Darren. I guess it should be a relief, but I'm kind of worried. I mean, both of them are a little bit crazy, and together that would just be double the trouble. I don't know if anyone can handle that.

The good news about them being together is that neither of them is plotting anything against me and Brendon. It means that we have time to relax and breathe. It'll be nice not to have to worry about staying a secret (from my school, from my dad, from anyone), in fact, I have no more secrets to keep. Sure, things are far from perfect, but everyone I love and care about knows everything they need to know about me.

It's like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, and it feels heavenly. Is this what it feels like to be free?