15

"Ariella!" Brendon calls after me. I didn't expect him to follow me so I quickly wipe my cheeks. "Hey," he turns me around to face him, pulling me into a hug. "Don't cry, hun. Shhh," as much I hate it, a sob erupts from my mouth.

"Why?" I cry, letting my tears stain his white t-shirt. He rubs small circles into my back and hums in my ear.

"I can't be that guy." He sighs, pulling back so he can look in my eyes. I give him a confused look, so he elaborates. "You know, that guy who calls off the wedding for his ex, just because he can't figure out what he wants."

"So you don't want me?" I don't mean to say it, but it slips off my tongue before I can stop it.

"I didn't say that. But Sarah, she needs me, she needs the help, and you chose your dad . . . So I thought you didn't. Now I have to marry her unless you can think of a way that I can be with you and help her." He looks like he's about to cry, and I know how much he really cares about both of us. But, if he's happy with her, then I can't stand in his way.

"I'll see you at the wedding. I love you," I choke out.

"I love you too." I didn't expect him to say it back, and I stand there with my mouth open in shock. He takes this opportunity to kiss me like he's never kissed me before. It's full of emotions: sadness, anger, hurt, love . . . It is the ultimate goodbye, and I feel his warm tears mix with mine.

When he finally pulls away, he looks like he's going to fall apart. "Goodbye, Ariella." He whispers. I turn around and start running, pulling out my phone to call Taya. She answers right away.

"Hey, how'd it go?" She asks, hope in every word.

"There's going to be a wedding." I deadpan, and I hear Taya gasp on the other end.

"He proposed!?" She screams. This makes me start crying again, but I hide it in my voice and answer.

"Not exactly . . ."

*****

"So, uh, dad. You'll be happy to know that Brendon is getting married . . . On June third." My dad has been home for three days, and I've been trying to figure out a way to break the news. It's not like I've had much practice. I told Taya right when I found out and since then no one else.

"To who? How the hell did he move on so fast?" My dad looks furious, which confuses me because he didn't want us dating in the first place. But I guess anyone who hurts his daughter is gonna pay for what they did, even if he sort of approves of what they did.

"Some girl named Sarah that he met back in college." I shrug, looking out the window. "Taya forced me to go over there before I was ready and that's when he told me." I let out a whimper and my dad stands up and squats beside me.

"You know, we don't have to go to the wedding if you're so upset about it." He offers. I shake my head and bite back the tears that are fighting to come out.

"I already sent the RSVP. You, Taya and I are going, and we're going to be polite and good company. Just because he broke my heart doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to be happy." My dad looks at me in surprise but nods his head.

"Well, since you waited until a week before the wedding to tell me, I guess you and Taya better go shopping for some dresses." He pulls out his credit card and hands it to me. "Not too expensive." I give him a hug in thanks. I am so relieved that he understands.

I guess now's as good a time as any to go get Taya. My dad is right. Actually, there's less than a week. The wedding is on Saturday and today is Monday. I shove my feet into a pair of shoes and run out the door towards Taya's house. I turn the knob and burst in.

"Tay!" I yell. "We have to go shopping!" She emerges at the top of the steps, hair askew and half-dressed.

"Give me, like, five minutes?" She says with a smirk. I roll my eyes, but sit down on her couch while I wait. I can hear a lower voice whisper something and Taya giggling and then the two start coming down the stairs.

"Why am I leaving again?" The guy asks. Taya smacks his arm playfully.

"I'm shopping for a wedding. I'll text you later, kay?" She gives him a quick kiss then ushers him out the door, straightening her shirt and turning around to look at me. There is the biggest grin on her face, and she bites her lip to try and hold it in. It does nothing for her and I laugh.

"Who was that?" I ask, flicking my eyebrows up and down. She shrugs and attempts to change the subject.

"I was thinking blue. You would look hot in blue. Let him know what he's missing, right?"

"Taya! Why didn't you tell me you were seeing someone?" I say, getting off the couch and crossing my arms. She looks away, and I can see the battle she's having with herself on what to say.

"I guess I didn't want to make you sad. Your love life, frankly, is a fucking nightmare, so I figured it was probably best if you didn't know that mine is booming . . ."

"More like banging . . ." I snicker, elbowing her in the side. It feels good to spend time with Taya again.