14

It's been six months, but it feels more like six years since I last saw Brendon. Oh? You thought I'd pick his side? Blood is thicker than water, and although I love Brendon—at least, I did when we were together—I also love my father. He has been around my whole life and he's the only family I have left. I couldn't just leave him the way Brendon expected me to.

After I made the decision to stay, my dad decided that it would also be best for me to switch schools. I kind of agreed, considering the fact that I would have had to sit through an agonizing last period being taught by the person I betrayed. I mean, it's true, isn't it? I did betray him, albeit for a good reason. I can't deny that he was hurt when I said I couldn't possibly do that to my dad. I asked him to wait for me; told him that when I turned eighteen and figured out how to talk to my dad about the issue, we could be together.

Well, there's a month to go, my birthday is on April twelfth, but I'm not sure that Brendon's waiting for me. I mean, I haven't left the house,  aside from going to school, in the last six months. I've practically given up on everything. I think the sweater I'm wearing right now is the same one I've been wearing for the past two weeks. But who cares? I don't have anyone to impress anymore.

Every time there's a knock on the door, I think it's going to be him. Like right now, for example. My dad's away and I'm sitting on the couch watching a rom-com when someone bangs on the door. It makes me jump and I slowly inch toward the door, unsure of who might be on the other side. Hopefully, it's not a murderer . . .

I open the door and am immediately pushed back into the hallway by Taya. "Okay, we need to talk about what the hell is going on with you." She says, walking past me and sitting at the kitchen table. Why are all of the serious conversations hosted in the kitchen?

"There's nothing going on with me," I say. I mean it's true, there's literally nothing because I'm single and basically under house arrest.

"Exactly!" She shouts. "What happened to your thrilling escapades with Brendon?" I guess Taya deserves to know. She really deserves to know everything that's happened to me, and I'm a shitty friend for keeping it from her.

"Let me start by saying, I'm a horrible best friend and you have every right to hate me. Especially after I tell you everything that I need to say." Taya looks at me sideways and it reminds me of when Brendon did that the day I asked him to talk to my dad. I should have never made him do that.

"I would never hate you—"

"Wait until after I'm done and see if you can say that."

*****

By the end of my story, we're both in tears and Taya is sitting with her head in her hands. "So you thought he was lying. You were willing to lie to be with him, and then . . . You chose your dad over him? Arie, I'm confused, you went through so much to keep him and then you went and threw him away. Why?"

"Because . . . At the time there was nothing else I could do." I sigh, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"Come on," Taya says, grabbing my arm and pulling me up.

"Where are we going?" I ask as she pulls me out the door and towards her house, where her car is parked.

"We're going to Brendon's house to work your shit out." She says, throwing me into the passenger seat. I look at her in horror. Remember when I was afraid there might have been a murderer at my door earlier? I think I would have liked that better than what I'm being forced to do now.

"He doesn't want to talk to me," I argue, but Taya shakes her head and starts to drive.

"No, you're just afraid to talk to him. Man up, woman!" For the next half hour, I proceed to try and argue my way out of it, but Taya refuses. We pull up to Brendon's house, and she raises her eyebrows in a silent "get the fuck out of my car and don't come back until you two make up". Yes, a face can say all of that.

I grumble, but step out of the car and walk slowly up to his door. There's an unfamiliar car parked in the driveway, but I don't really pay attention to it. I knock on the door and stand awkwardly outside for a few minutes. Soon I hear a female voice and laughing coming from the other side. A woman with long, curly black hair answers the door and smirks down at me.

"We don't want any girl guide cookies, thanks." My jaw drops at her rude statement and before she can close the door in my face, I stick out my arm and push back.

"Excuse me, I'm not a girl guide. I'm looking for Brendon." Her eyebrows pop up and her mouth forms a tiny o. Surprise is not her best look, I must say.

"Hey, Bren, there's a little girl here to see you." She calls behind her into the house. I see Brendon before he sees me because he's only looking at the woman in the doorway. He wraps his arms around her torso and then jumps away when he sees me.

"Ariella!" His voice cracks like he's going through puberty for a second time. "What are you doing here?" He glances at the woman and then back at me frantically.

"Can I come in, or is this the new thing; awkwardly standing with your ex and new girlfriend on the doorstep?" My words come out more callous than I mean them to, but come on. He was supposed to wait for me! He gestures into the house and I push past the woman and walk into the familiar front entrance.

"Arie, I—" he starts, but the woman interrupts.

"She's your ex? Where do you meet them so young, B?" Brendon shoots her a glare, then looks at me with pleading eyes.

"It's not April yet, what are you doing here?"

"Taya dragged me. But it seems like any point I try to make will be moot." The woman nods and I scowl at her.

"I'm sorry. I thought I should move on," he starts, but my eyes widen and he falters.

"After I told you to wait, you thought you should move on? What, is it 'let's all break Ariella's heart' day today?" I just want to scream at him and kiss him at the same time. It's frustrating.

"Arie, I have loved you my whole life—"

"What?!" The woman interjects, and Brendon looks at her calmly. It's the same kind of patience he used to use with me.

"Sarah, can you just, I dunno, be quiet for a sec or leave the room? Please? I'm trying to explain what happened, and you're not being very helpful." He rests a hand on her shoulder and she rolls her eyes, but motions that her lips are zipped.

"You were saying?" I prompt, hands on my hips.

"I was saying that even though I love you, it was difficult to deal with you choosing your dad over me. It felt like you didn't want me . . . And then, out of nowhere, Sarah showed up at my door. We dated back in college, and soon all of my feelings for her rushed back to me. We're actually, uh, planning on getting married in June. I was hoping that you'd come, bring your dad too. And Taya, if you want . . . I'm really sorry, Arie."

"Ariella," I say, pushing past him, trying to hold in the tears as I rush out towards the door. When I get outside, Taya is gone and tears are streaming down my face.