17

I turn to Brendon sleepily and stroke his cheek. His smile is the biggest I've ever seen it. "That was worth all the wait." He whispers, kissing my nose. I rest my head on his bare chest and he wraps his arms around me.

"I love you," I breathe, staring up at the ceiling peacefully. He's right, waiting just made the moment even more perfect.

"I love you more," he teases, turning onto his side so that we're lying with his front to my back. I feel like his human teddy bear, I love it. I snuggle deep into his warm embrace when I hear the front door slam. We both jump out of bed and quickly slip on some sort of cover, just as Sarah barges in.

"Oh, so the bride's groom is a whore? Great!" She gives a short laugh and crosses her arms. She's still wearing her wedding dress, and she looks strikingly out of place among Brendon and me, who are half-dressed and slightly sweaty.

"Why are you here?" Brendon asks, taking two large strides to stand in front of her. He looks menacing but gentle at the same time. It's like watching a dance.

"Well you didn't expect me to let you humiliate me in front of all those people, did you? I came to warn you two that there will be hell to pay. I will find a way to make your lives a living hell until you know what it feels like to be left at the altar." Her eyes flare with the fire of revenge, and I can tell she's not kidding. A shiver creeps up my spine.

"It's not like I was the one who started it. Taya was the one who interrupted the ceremony, otherwise you would be the one who just slept with Brendon, not me. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret her decision. I am so glad she made me stand up and speak my mind."

"Mark my words, I'll get something on you that will make you wish you had never been born." Sarah glowers, turning and sashaying out of the room. When I hear the door close, I turn to Brendon nervously.

"Don't worry, there's nothing she could possibly find on you." He says, too sure of himself. He's wrong, there is plenty that she could find.

"Yeah, right. Because sleeping with your entire grade is nothing." I say flatly. He frowns and takes a step closer, looking me in the eyes.

"Who's she going to tell? Your dad knows, I know . . . Did you tell Taya?" I nod and he spreads his hands out. "There you go, there's no one important that doesn't know everything bad about you already."

"What if she tells my dad that we slept together?" I ask, slumping onto the floor.

"What's he gonna do? You're eighteen now, you're not my student. We've known each other for so long that it was bound to happen." Brendon shrugs, sliding down beside me. I lean into him and he kisses the top of my head, wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm scared, B," I admit, softly. For a few moments, he's quiet, and I wonder if he didn't hear me. Just as I'm about to repeat myself, though, he speaks.

"I'll protect you from Sarah's wrath. She's not really that frightening when you get to know her."

*****

It's so near to the end of the school year that hearing that there's a new student is more than surprising. Rumour has it, his name is Devon. It's only his first day, Lord knows how the word travelled so fast. By lunch, practically the whole cafeteria is booming about the new kid, until the doors swing open late and there stands a boy. He's tall with blonde hair that wisps around his face in dainty curls. He looks utterly confused, and I can remember that feeling from just a few months ago.

As he walks closer, I notice that he looks oddly familiar. Instead of letting it slide like any sane person would, I call out to him. "Hey, you!" He turns his head, pointing at himself in shock. "Yeah, you. Come here." I wave him over and he sits beside me.

"Do I know you?" He asks, looking at me sideways. He pulls a lunch bag out of his bag and sets it on the table.

"Ariella Alvos," I say, reaching out my hand awkwardly. "You look really familiar. Where are you from?" He shakes my hand and grins broadly.

"Arie? Oh my God! Wow, it's been awhile, hasn't it?" He laughs. Devon . . . I only knew one guy with a name similar to that: Darren Young.

"Everyone thinks your name is Devon." I blurt out, though I'm not sure why.

"Heh, well whatever. Devon's a pretty sick name." He shrugs, biting into a sandwich.  For a few minutes, I just stare at him. It's crazy that he just picked up and moved right to where I have been for the last four years. I never told anyone where I was moving, in hopes that I'd never run into any of them again. "You alright?" He asks, and I realize that I've been staring for far too long.

"Uh, yeah. It's just . . . You know, I never thought I'd see you again." I give him a small smile and look away awkwardly.

"It's good to see you though. I kinda missed you," he whispers, touching my thigh beneath the table. I quickly slap it away and glare at him. He throws his hands up in surrender and clears his throat. "Sorry, guess you've changed."

"Just because we used to fuck doesn't mean we still do. I have a boyfriend, and, yeah, I have changed." Darren nods and stands up.

"I'm sorry, Arie. Can we start over?" I let out a sigh and get up too. Should I let it slide?

Against my better judgement, I extend my hand to him. "Hi, I'm Ariella Alvos."

"Darren Young. Pleasure to meet you," he smiles down at me and shakes my hand for the second time in thirty minutes. I can't tell if this is going to be good or bad . . .