Chapter 1

Snow formed a white, icy blanket on the tops of bushes. Wind dwelled around the camp as trees danced along, swaying side to side. A thin layer of beautiful gleaming frost was forming on the thin windows. Just the sight of the winter wonderland was enough to make a person shiver. Grey poked her narrow head out of the leader's den and peered around. She was the type of person who loved snow. She was a neko, a half human half cat, with human like looks, fur like hair, cat ears, and a long furred tail. Her crystal eyes glittered as she looked longingly at the fallen snow. Suddenly, a voice came from behind.

"Grey, what are you going to do about it? I mean, the okamis are starting to claim our hunting territory as their own!" the man who spoke was about 20 years old. He was tall, with pitch black hair and large dark eyes. Red scars ran across his skin, which was a bit on the dark side. "This is not ok!" Okami were half humans half wolves, ones that had been a menace to the kingdom lately.

"Agreed," Gray quickly tore her eyes off the snow, smiled professionally and then spoke exactly what she was actually thinking, "Isn't the snow beautiful, Red?"

Red frowned, "You're not listening, are you? Grey, this important. The wolves think they can snatch territory right out of our paws. Last time I checked, cats don't howl and we don't have any way to defend ourselves if war happens."

"Just do what you always do. Send some wishy-washy people to ramble on about how awesome they are and give them the gold for the pieces they stole from us already."

"This is exactly why they took it from us in the first place! We shouldn't let them push us over like this!"

Grey shook her head, "You know what... you're right. I'm sorry, I'm just distracted with everything that's been going on lately. The animal clans have been fighting over territory for centuries but this just crosses the line."

"Good that you understand. We have to keep them on track. We have a gathering with them soon. We can bring only the best with us."
"I think we should start planning now," a woman about 18 spoke up. She had pale gray hair with white highlights throughout it. Her name was Frost and she was the co-deputy. Her serious eyes skimmed the place. She was serious and stately, but she also had a lot to learn.

"We should do that. If you wait too late, then we will be in trouble," the second voice that spoke belonged to a small female. She was also about 18, on the small side with long white hair and gleaming ice cold blue eyes. She looked like winter in a person, frosty and icy, with piercings lining every part of her. "Sis, if you don't, not everyone you need may be able to attend. Their schedules need to be free to attend the gathering."

Grey whipped around, "Crystal, you're suppose to be on lookout duty. What do you think you're doing?"

Crystal shrugged, "I was on dawn patrol, but then everyone got mad at me for some weird reason. I didn't do anything!" Crystal knew she most likely did something, but she didn't know what. Grey had the same suspicion, but dismissed it. She couldn't have done anything too bad. Now on the other hand, she needed to talk about privacy with her little sister.

"Hey Grey, can you call a meet?" Red exclaimed, "We have to inform the clan of the gathering and who will be coming as well."

"Of course," Gray scurried out of her den.

Red smiled then stopped at the entrance, "After you Frost."

"Why, thank you, darling!" Frost joked, "Oh, who am I kidding? You got a mate and kits!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ALL CATS OF STORM EMPIRE, PLEASE JOIN US UNDER THE SKULL ROCK FOR A MEETING."

Gray's holler echoed throughout the whole camp. Crystal watched them leave, icy blue eyes glowing in intensity. She had only been here for a few days and had lived in a small tribe to the north. She didn't trust many of them. She didn't really want to be here. It was for the best, she guessed. Still, even to this cat that was her sister, she felt no connection to. Not anymore. At least her parents weren't here. With another glance to the room, she hopped off the couch where she was and raced down to the rock.

"MY CORNER!" No one came near her, but she knew that this wouldn't last long. Within 4 weeks, they would all be trying to intrude. For now, they didn't feel comfortable enough with her to do this. With a roll of her eyes at the attitude of everyone within the clan, she glanced over to the high rock where her sister stood.

Grey glanced around, counting everyone. With an exception of Silent who was nursing kits, everyone was present. Even the icy Crystal was looking at her. Grey opened her mouth and yowled out the news,

"My dear clan mates, I need you all to pay attention and open your ears.. In 2 weeks, we shall have a gathering with all of the other animal empires in Arian. We shall only bring the best of the best with us and shall announce it to those who are invited later. As this is the first gathering in a while," that we have been invited to anyways, "we shall do our upmost best efforts to prepare."

"A gathering?" A neko yelled from the crowd, "No way we are going! Those other dang neko groups underestimate us and haven't invited us in the past years."

Red shot out of his seat and growled, but Grey beckoned him to sit down.

"And if you avoid it, it will only make it worse! That means letting them say, 'Oh look at those scaredy cats. They know better than to mess with us.' I don't care if you are scared of those idiots, but do you really want the reputation of our clan to plummet like that?" the cat that spoke this time was supportive. Crystal Storm stood up, a growl building in her voice as she glared at the half human half cat. The fur on her ears and tail were flying as high as possible as she seethed with anger.

Grey nodded, "I agree with my sister... something I do once or twice a decade. We can't have those other clans thinking we're weak. If we do that, then they will take advantage of us and it won't look so pretty."

"Let's not forget about the wolves," Frost added, "The gathering will be a great opportunity for us to work things out with the Ash Empire. Maybe all of this conflict over territories will be resolved if we go."

The neko crossed his arms.

"I guess so," He muttered.

"Anyways it's time to assign jobs," Gray announced, "Frost, I want you to lead a patrol down to the river. Report any trespassing okamis you see."

Frost nodded, "You got it. Honey and Coal, come with me."

"I'm going to be leading a hunting patrol too," Gray added, "I'll take Crystal with me. Also, Crystal, you are hunting this time. You better stick to it, or you aren't getting any mice today!"

"Fine," Crystal grumbled, knowing that she deserved it as she resigned to her fate. With a wave of her hand, she entered her inventory, a space where a person could put things only visible to them. She drew out a long bow and sharp arrows, making sure everything was in order.

"Red will stay behind to assign you other duties." Gray remarked, "That being said, the meeting is dismissed. Let's get to work!"

The crowds broke off into smaller sections as chit chat erupted from under the skullrock.

"Anyways, I am picky. I mostly only eat birds, so I'll go hunting for those," Crystal sassed. Before Grey could determine otherwise, the white haired figure ran off, bow trailing behind it as it hunted for the flying animals.

"Gray!" A voice came from behind. Gray turned around and standing there was the Storm Empire's healer whose name was Eclipse.

"Greetings Eclipse," Gray purred, "What can I do for you?"

Eclipse panted, "Sorry to interrupt, but do you mind if I join you and Crystal's patrol? The camp is running low on herbs. Fawn will stay behind in case anything happens at camp."

Fawn was the healer's apprentice.

"Sure," Gray shrugged, "We can take another person. Can we, Crystal?"

Gray turned around, but Crystal wasn't there. Oh my neko, she's gone already! Graystar thought.

"Come on let's go. Crystal's already off!!"

The both of them scurried off into the woods.