Chapter 15

Gray awoke to Red's scream. He was holding a bloody ax in his hands, followed by a trail of blood running by his side. She quickly dashed out of her nest and reached for her sword.

"Red??" Her cry was a mix of shock and confusion, "What's going on?"

He opened his mouth and barely gasped the words out, "I live with The Heavens now."

"What in Arian are you saying?"

"Goodbye Graystar."

"No.. No!"

"No!" Gray opened her eyes and covered her hands with her mouth. Crystal, who was right next to her, pounced up and widened her eyes.

"What are you doing?!" Crystal snarled, clearly agitated by her yell.

Gray shook her head, and looked beside her. The sword on her desk stood right beside her half-eaten mouse from last night's dinner, just where she put it before she went to sleep. She glanced at the doorway that led to the deputy's den and took a sigh of relief when she saw Red's bushy tail flicking slightly under the sheets.

"Sorry," Gray muttered, "I just had a nightmare."

Crystal shook her head, then flopped back into bed. Deciding that she wasn't tired, Gray gradually lifted herself up and put on a rain-coat as well as loose jeans to keep her warm from the last chilly days of winter. Perfunctorily, she slipped her belt on as she would do any typical day, and buckled on her sword.

It was still dark out, but many were already awake, preparing for the war. The door to the medicine cat's den was open. Gray walked past, catching a glimpse of Hawkheart and Fawnwhisker organizing a variety of herbs into their leather pouches. Some warriors had already started to distribute breakfast around.

Gray looked around for Red, sighing in relief when she saw him. He was the same as ever, serious look. He was doing the same thing that he always did when he was focusing, carefully tracing the scars that ran down his neck. He was always working on many things, so she decided not to confront him.

"Graystar!" The sharp, familiar voice of Lilystar rung in her ears. Gray turned around and quickly widened her eyes at the sight of the Mountainclan's leader. She took a small bow in respect, as the kumas would traditionally greet leaders in the form of a bow.

"I think I found something for the phantoms! I may have a lead for how their weapons works and what they are made out of. They seem to be man made though... I think that the phantoms may have been humans originally whom were modified," Lilystar approached the Gray leader, while accidently bumping into Crystal, who was going through a book. She awkwardly turned around then raised her eyebrows at the Mountain Kingdom's leader.

"Oh... You're the girl who was with North, right? Little girls shouldn't be messing with wars. Are you a healer or something?" Lilystar recalled.

"Excuse me? First of all, I doubt that I am that much younger than you. I am only a year younger than Gray and North," Crystal met her gaze. She knew that being underestimated wasn't always bad, but she hated it when people thought of her as weak.

"I said not to get involved with matters of the kingdoms this isn't the sort of thing that people like you can understand," Lily interrupted her, immediately forgetting about Gray's presence. "Little girl, this war is much bigger than you. Nekos can give us information, but cats will never be able to defeat big animals like bears, or wolves. YOu don't have any strength other than your abilities. YOu wouldn't be able to win without dirty tricks!"

Crystal could see that the strength of her anger was directed at her. Not the nekos. They were just collateral damage.

"You are just jealous because the kumas don't have brains big enough to make plans," snarled Crystal, replying in the same manner.

The Storm Empire (Completed)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें