Chapter 7

The camp oozed with blood that belonged to both warriors of the Ash and Storm Kingdom. Injured Storm warriors were tied up and gagged, then placed in a line in front of Dawn.

"What in Arian happened here?" Gray mumbled as she began to enter into the camp.

Lark tugged her back, "No! Don't. For now, we have to stay hidden until we know what's going on. They might be hostages.

Gray looked at him, then nodded softly. Together, they scurried off to a nearby bush to observe the scene. Even Red was at the mercy of the okami. As she glanced around the camp, her heart dropped. Some of her clanmates were not there, which gave her hope. However, there was Acorn, Frost, Silent, Sparrow, Eclipse, Fawn, Speckle, and lots more cats. She also saw Crystal, who was the only one nearly uninjured.

They both met glances.

"What should I do?" Gray mouthed silently.

Crystal held up her tied hands. "Untie me," She mouthed back. Gray ran quickly and untied her ropes when the guards weren't looking. Crystal grabbed the hands of Gray then she ran and Lark followed, back to the bush.

There were Ash guards at the end of each line, all holding metal swords and shields. They had began to notice the empty spot in which Crystal was sitting in. Looking confused, they walked over then began to mumble something.

"Back to your guarding posts now!" The voice that belonged to Dawn rung out, making each neko shiver at her stern tone. The guards nodded, then scurried back to where they were standing.

"I know you're all scared," Dawn continued to speak in front of all of the tied up nekos, "That's why I'm offering you all a way out of this. What you have to do is very simple; quit your clan here, and join ours."

Red, who was gagged, narrowed his eyes and began kicking his feet.

"Shut him up," Dawn nodded to one of the guards. One of them walked over, then beat him with a wooden staff.

"No!" Gray abruptly said aloud. Crystal shushed her.

Some guards looked over at the bushes for a few moments then turned back.

"So, who would like to join Ash and claim their new identity?" Dawn raised an eyebrow. When she saw no one offering themselves, she began to growl, "Alright then, it's your choice. We'll kill your kits, one by one. Your elders are next. Then the queens, the healers, the apprentices, and finally the warriors. We'll save your leader and deputies for last, so that they can watch their family die in front of their very eyes. Where is Gray anyway? I haven't seen her."

"This is sickening," Lark hissed, "Should I call Pluto over for help?"

Gray looked at the scene, then turned back to Lark, "Yeah, we really need it."

Lark nodded, then took off, the knife on his belt jiggling as he ran. Gray put her head in her hands, then looked at Crystal for help.

"What should I do?" Gray mumbled, "This is all my fault for lying."

"No, it isn't," answered Crystal. "It would've happened either way. Now you helped. You gave us allies."

Gray shook her head, "No, it is my fault. If I didn't leave, then I would've protected the camp."

"It wouldn't have helped."

"It's my fault, my responsibility. And now I'll pay for it," Gray stood up, making herself visible in front of all of the nekos who widened their eyes when they saw her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Crystal gasped, as she tugged her sister down.

Gray looked at her sister. It might be the last time they would see each other. At least she would know that her sacrifice was meant to benefit the clan. Deep down, she prayed to the heavens, hoping that Crystal would live well without her.