Chapter 15: Dr Wheeler

A few weeks had passed and Camille had avoided her family at all costs, even Connor. He had tried to call her but Cammie wasn't ready to speak to him, he hadn't done anything wrong but Camille knew that he would encourage her to talk about their dad and she didn't want that.

She was still fighting the lawsuit, Ms Goodwin and the lawyers had spoken to her about another possible court date where she would need to relay the events of what happened before and after her attack and if she felt the hospital had cared for her efficiently.

Things with a certain firefighter seemed to be going well and when Camille walked into work on Sunday morning, the small message she received had been a great start to the shift but that was all about to change.

"Morning, Dr. Rhodes" Dr Wheeler smiled, upon his arrival. Camille was a favourite amongst the younger residents. They adored how she treated them with respect and never criticised their performance unless completely necessary.

"Good morning." Cammie smiled to the doctor who walked towards the halls. She turned to Will who was waiting for a file. "I'm heading up to break. Follow me up?" Camille asked Will. She had been working for two hours and it had been nothing but hectic. She needed a break.

"Wait for me." Will pleaded as he tried to hurry up clearing his files.

The two friends were also getting along great, Will had encouraged Camille to even go for a few drinks with the rest of the ER doctors on a few occasions something she hadn't really done that much of.

"No" Camille whined, she really needed this break. She turned to Clarke. "Can you get Dr Wheeler when he's back, ask him to go through the exam in Trauma 4?"

Clarke nodded. "Sure thing." He had been under Camille's shadow again, his final exams were in two weeks, if he passed he would be offered a position in a hospital. Unfortunately Chicago Med only had one ER position available which meant Clarke was fighting for it along with 13 other residents. Camille had been the one to recommend the position for Dr Clarke, happy that her mentoring had helped rather than confused the man.

Turning to Will, she poked her tongue out and had began walking towards the roof. Greeting her colleagues as she passed. She had managed to grab the same lift as Dr Wheeler though any conversation, although happy seemed strained to her. She couldn't be sure. But then again. Confusion struck over her when she realised that Dr Wheeler had no reason to be going up towards the roof.

"Hey, Dr Wheeler?" Camille tried to call. Her pager began to ring, between fiddling with her phone and calling to the doctor she had not expected what would happen next.

"Oh my god!" Camille cried as she watched Dr Wheeler climb over the barrier. "No." She ran forward but she had been too late. Dr Wheeler had jumped.

Camille needed to throw up.
****

Camille was shaking. She had not been expecting this when she arrived on shift this morning.

No one had known the doctor was up there, it had been Ethan to find her, huddled in a corner. Shock was evident in her eyes, fear too.

"Camille?" He spoke, shocked. He quickly moved towards the young resident. Her face streaked with tears and the remains of her make up running down her face.

She was shivering.

"Let's get you downstairs. Eh?" The man tried to speak softly. But he wasn't even sure if she was listening. He pulled off his hospital issued jacket and draped it over the woman's shoulders.

After a while Ethan had managed to coax her down the stairs, her body barely able to stand he wrapped an arm around her waist and guided her carefully towards the ER. Will had been the first to see them emerge from the left, his face turned white. Cammie was waiting on the roof for him.

"Cam." He couldn't help but feel a pain.

She shook her head, not trusting herself to speak.

Connor had been called and despite not talking to him for the past three weeks his presence was important to her, she instantly collapsed in his arms, sobbing as he rocked her back and forth. "It's okay." He whispered, softly.

She stopped crying shortly after, only letting out a small choke of a sob as his body was wheeled past them.

"This is a shock to us all. He was one of our own." Sharon announced as she addressed the hospital staff. "This will be difficult for us all, anyone who would prefer to go home, there will be no judgement." She announced sadly before dismissing the doctors and nurses.

"You know, why don't you go home?" Connor suggested softly. He knew it hadn't just been the fact that Dr Wheeler's death was a complete shock but also that the incident had sparked memories of their mother.

"No." Cammie said, moving away from her brothers hold. "I can't get upset every time, Con." She sighed, almost tricking herself into believing the words.

"Maggie, waiting room's full." Ethan snapped everyone into action. Unfortunately they needed to work too. "Let's keep 'em moving."

With one last hug, Camille busied herself and ran over to the the doors where there was an incoming patient, Will right behind her.

"We'll get through this." Will reassured the young doctor, placing a hand on her shoulder he squeezed it softly.  He knew she would struggle. Was this kid's life ever going to be happy?

"I know." Camille smiled, softy.

****

Camille had found herself in the break room shortly after 2PM, she was tired and the past few weeks had began to take a toll on her. Had moving back to this side of Chicago been the right decision? Why was everything going wrong for her?

"Hey.." A voice brought her away from her thoughts. It was Kelly.

Looking up, confusion set in. "What are you- why are you here?" She asked, unsure of the firefighters visit.

"We heard, I didn't want you to be alone." He shrugged. "Sorry for coming back here, April said this is where you were."

She was sat at the table, a few files in front of her but they definitely didn't have her concentration. She seemed to be more focused on chewing at the skin around her nails and staring at the wall in front of her.

She nodded, moving a few files so that Kelly could join her. He didn't say anything and just sat beside her. He hadn't really known much about what was going on with the Rhodes but he was sure she'd appreciate the company.

Kelly Severide watched her hold on to the last bit of strength she had but it was clear that every part of Camille Rhodes was crumbling. She had been through the most traumatic of months and to be reminded of her mother's death as a colleague succumbed to his own emotional battle she was forced to live through it again.

"Hold me Kelly." She whispered. Her eyes doe as they finally met the ice blue ones of Lieutenant Kelly Severide.

They didn't say anymore as she fell into the man's arms. "It's okay. You're gonna be okay." He whispered words of encouragement.

Kelly Severide was going to get Camille through this.

A/n: okay. So I'm working on some of my stories at the minute. I'm away right now so I'm hoping to update again soon. Which stories would you like me to update? And what new ones would you like to see?

I'm thinking Linstead? You decide!

Hope you enjoy and please review!