Chapter 9: The Confrontation

After dinner, we got settled in our designated rooms. I shared a room with the other four girls. Fortunately, it was big enough for us. It was like ours back at the castle but our beds were much smaller. The boys shared a room that was located just beside ours.

"Doesn't King Val have other children? It's so lonely here." Aya said as she was combing her hair by a big mirror.

Ally walked up behind her and shrugged. "I don't think so and yeah, you're right."

"King Val doesn't even have a wife. I wonder if he gets lonely." Keni, who was polishing her bow, said.

I collapsed on my bed after prepping my bag in the closet. "I'm sure he gets lonely. I'd go crazy if I was alone and ruling a kingdom."

Shaine flew around the room and handed us our blankets. "Thank you." I said softly.

"It's still early. I'm going out with Allister to explore." Shaine informed us and flew out the door.

I saw Keni frown from the bed beside me. "What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Alli-" She was about to say but cut herself off. She then shook her head so I decided not to push the topic.

Haruo and Raymond walked pass our open door. Aya called out to them and ran outside. Ally followed suit.

"You wanna go out, Keni?" I asked.

She nodded and smiled. We were about to leave but Zion walked into our room.

"You wanted to talk to me?" He asked me.

Oh yeah I told Alli that I wanted to talk to Zion. I nodded in response.

"Follow me. There's something I want to show you too." He said and gestured for me to follow him.

"This won't take long, Keni. I'll come back soon." I said apologetically.

"No, it's okay. I'm going to take a bath. Take your time." She responded.

I said a quick thanks before following Zion out of the room. We walked for a few minutes towards the top of the castle.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To the butterfly dome." He said.

We reached a glass door. Zion opened it and we walked inside.

"Isn't it going to be dark?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Not if they're glow in the dark."

Zion blew a whistle and a big tree in the dome lit up. Butterflies that varied in size and color dispersed from the tree and flew around the dome, around us. It felt like we were in the midst of hundreds of stars. A cold rush of air enveloped us while I stared in awe at the scene. It was beautiful and with Zion beside me, I felt safe.

"Amazing, right?" He asked.

"Yes!" I exclaimed.

A blue butterfly landed on Zion's head. He swatted it away and it flew towards me.

I noticed how the colors of its wings were changing from blue to lavender.

Zion lead me to a bench in the middle of the dome where we could watch the butterflies.

"What was it that you wanted to talk about?" He asked.

I almost forgot about that. "I have a few questions." I said.

He nodded and gestured for me to continue.

"Well, first of all, why do you always seemed annoyed with Allister?"