Chapter 1: My Best friend in her red Kimono

The town lay still and silent on that hot summer's day. The blistering sun beat hot over my head as I walked down the street of that small town. My bare feet met the warm sand on the ground with a soft thud that barely echoed through the quiet town. Little clouds of dust followed me down the narrow dirt path as my only company. Down the ways I spotted a small brown shoulder bag lying on the side of the road. Curious, I decided to investigate. The shoulder bag showed wear saying it had been used on a frequent basis. An unexpected breeze weaved through the air moving the strap of the bag to where it revealed a name tag sewn onto the inside of the strap. I walked over to the bag and knelt beside it bringing the strap up to eye level so I could read the tiny letters delicately sewn onto the material.

"Sa-su-ke oo-chi-ha" I struggled with the pronunciation of the complicated name but was sure that from my "expert" English skills that I had gotten it right.

I remembered a time from when I was little and my mother was still around. She was always the kindest person I had known and she was always giving me good advice. Thankfully I could look back to the good times with my mother and pull from my memory of her for advise when coming across a situation like this. "Kiana if you don't know who the lost item belongs to try to find the owner. But if no one is around then wait patiently and maybe someone will come looking for it." I recited my mothers advise out loud to myself and decided to take it whole heartedly.

I looked up and down the ends of the streets and saw not even the outline of a figure in the distance down either side of me. When it was obvious that there was no one around for me to ask I sat under the tree that stood as a tall shade provider on the side of the road. Leaning up against it's strong trunk I found myself looking up to the sky that I could barely see through the thick congregations of leaves. There was another soft breeze that made the thin branches dance and the leaves off the branches roam in a peaceful havoc. I didn't realize it before it was too late, but the patterns soon put me to sleep.

When I woke up I looked to find the sky. But instead of seeing that leaf filled sky I saw a boy. Staring at me. Two dark onyx orbs looked me once over. I followed the orbs and patterns remembering his facial features.

"Um, I don't mean to be rude but.." He pointed to the brown satchel which I had been clinging to as I slept. "I need that back please."

I felt bad when I realized I had been staring and not realizing sooner that the bag was his. So without a moment's more hesitation I surrendered the property of the bag back to him and it seemed to make him a little less grumpy.

"Thank you." He said before lifting the strap to hang it off his opposite shoulder.

He was polite. After putting two and two together I gathered that since the satchel belonged to him that it must have been his name sewn onto the tag so I decided since I knew his name that I would welcome him properly. "You're welcome. Sa-su-ke"

It didn't take long for an awkward silence to fill the air around us.

"You pronounced it wrong." He told me with a disappointing shake of his head.

When it was obvious that I was confused he ran a hand through his hair and pointed at the air his finger making a soft tap on a non existent object when he spoke each individual syllable.

"It's Sas-ske. Not Sa-su-ke." disproving my imaginary "expert" English skills.

He chuckled a little bit and I tilted my head.

"Most people would have at least given me a sour look by now. Sorry for being rude." He held out his hand and I looked to it.

"My name is Sasuke Uchiha. What's yours?" I took his hand firmly in my grasp and shook it as I spoke.